Anyone Tried Melatonin at Night?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Morning all,

I was just reading this and thought I should post it. (As we can't post links, I brought the link to you. :-)

"For patients with shoulder disorders such as

frozen shoulder, melatonin may mediate nocturnal pain, according to a study published in the July 2 issue of The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery.

Eunyoung Ha, M.D., Ph.D., from Keimyung University in Daegu, South Korea, and colleagues examined whether melatonin mediates nocturnal pain in patients with a rotator cuff tear or frozen shoulder. They analyzed the expression of melatonin receptor 1A (MTNR1A) and 1B (MTNR1B) and of acid-sensing ion channel 3 (ASIC3) in subacromial bursa and joint capsule samples collected from 63 patients (21 with a rotator cuff tear, 22 with frozen shoulder, and 20 with shoulder instability [control group]).

The researchers found that, compared with the control group, MTNR1A, MTNR1B, and ASIC3 expression was significantly increased in both the rotator cuff tear and frozen shoulder groups. In primary cultured fibroblast-like synoviocytes treated with proinflammatory cytokines, interleukin-1β and tumor necrosis factor-α significantly stimulated MTNR1A and MTNR1B expression. ASIC3 expression and interleukin-6 (IL-6) production were induced with melatonin treatment at a physiological concentration (10 nM). Melatonin-stimulated ASIC3 expression and IL-6 production were reversed with treatment with luzindole, a melatonin-receptor antagonist.

"Our study suggests that melatonin may play a role as a mediator of nocturnal pain with a rotator cuff tear or frozen shoulder, and this effect may be mediated via melatonin receptors," the authors write."

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have tried melatonin and it did not help me. Hopefully it will for others.
    • Posted

Yeah, not much in the way of medication, alternitive health care or just yelling ' GO AWAY' at my Frozen Shoulder..has done much for me either Laura. LOL  

As Laura mentioned, maybe it will work for someone else, the Melatonin. 

• Posted

It may be worth a try - have exhausted all other remedies.  It's only night time that it is a problem - post rotator cuff surgery, 9 months.
  • Posted

I got some sleep melts. And they have worked pretty good actually.
    • Posted

I have sleeping tablets but am terrified of becoming addicted so I allow myself half of one once a week.  Apart from anything else, from my understanding you can become accustomed to them so I wouldn't find them much use if I took too many and I don' t need any more issues - the shoulder is enough smile
    • Posted

Melatonin is natural. You can buy it at any Health food store.
  • Posted

I'll give it a go.
    • Posted

I bet everyone here is as sick of pharmaceuticals as I am. I have occasionally taken Melatonin in the past for insomnia. Works great. Not sure about working on our nasty FS condition at night ... but worth a try.
  • Posted

I have taken a drug called Luna which has Melatonin 6 mg and a bunch of herbal ingredients. It creates pressure in my head with drowsiness but not enough to make me sleep.  It actually makes me anxious!  Don't know what is causing it since there are so many other things beyond melatonin. Anyone else have head pressure with straight melatonin?
  • Posted

Going on 3 months of FZ I swear by it. Called Lipscomal Melatonin Drops by Biogenesis. The only thing to make me deep sleep thru the extremely painful zapping at night.
    • Posted

I have never slept particularly well, even before shoulder surgery so have ordered some of this online to try.  Pretty difficult to get hold of in the UK - think it's coming from US.
    • Posted

I pray it works for you. I too order it online (I am in US) called "Health Remedies". com
  • Posted

Jen I tried MSM 1000mg herbal supplement last night and kept waking up wondering if my frozen shoulder had finally disappeared. Barely any pain at all upon rest. Of course stretching it caused the pain but I can deal with that. I bought the bottle at CVS. Read about it yesterday and as I was ready to sell my soul for some relief figured I'd give it a try. Unbelievable. It's an anti inflammatory and I've been almost completely pain free all day. Took a second pill at lunch. Don't know why doctors don't recommend supplements before surgery. Totally recommend it. Arm still frozen and stiff but I'm hoping this will see Me thru end. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.