Airborne Allergic Contact Dermatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have what I'm pretty sure is airborne allergic contact dermatitis.  I have a scaly, dark rash on and below my eyelids.  It's spreading slowly across my face and forehead. 

I'm an artist and am constantly around chemicals.  I use oil paints and pastels.  Although I buy the highest grade materials, ones that are supposed to be the least toxic, and don't use solvents, I'm still exposed to any number of unidentified chemicals.  Paints contain methylsothialiazone, cadmium, cobalt, formaldahyde and adhesives.  Pastels generate dust and contain adhesives whose formulation I don't know.

My question is what I should do next.  I got patch tested at a reputable University two years ago.  They identified black hair dye as my only allergy.  I stopped using hair dye and the rash didn't return until this winter.  

Over the past four months, I've used steroids on and off.  Like vaseline or protopic, steroids reduce the scales and maybe slow the spread of the rash, but they are not effective treatment. 

When I go into the studio, I sometimes feel my cheeks becoming warm and the rash stings a bit.  It might be psychological.  Once I get into my work, I feel nothing. 

What should I do?  I'm assuming that I won't be able to eliminate the source.  I wear long sleeves and gloves.  Only my face and neck seem to be affected.  Are there effective barrier creams that I can wear on my face?  Masks? Any filters or vents that could reduce the presence of the allergens?  Ventillation in my basement studio is poor.  Would improved ventillation make a difference at this point?

Thanks!  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Improve ventilation I would say!

As the way i would imagine it, you're trapping yourself with the atmosphere of all these chemicals.

• Posted

When in the timeline did you use steroids? You might want to research TSW (topical steroid withdrawal syndrome/red skin syndrome)
  • Posted

Okay.  I will try painting in a beter ventilated room.  If that doesn't work, any suggestions?  Protective gear?  Likelihood of it being airborn contact dermatitis?  It seems so rare.  My dermatologist didn't even raise it as a possibility. 

I doubt that it is steroid withdrawal.  I used the steroids for a month in January.  When I came off of it, there was no real bounce back in symptoms.  The rash worsened very slowly.  I would take steroids for a couple of days here and there, but not consistently.  

My doctor prescribed that ketoconazole shampoo to put on my face.  He guessed it was seb dermatitis.  But it hasn't helped.  Do you think it could be contributing to the rash? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.