Bilateral Hip Replacements in two days!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am a 52-year-old woman who has had OA since my late 20's.  At the time, I was told that nothing could be done until I was much older.  So I started the Nsaid game, did injections, lost weight, and now I'm to the point that I need more relief.  I went to see a new doctor and he said it was time for them both to be replaced!  Even at my age, he feels that I may not need another replacement in my lifetime, and only time will tell.  Just to have the pain gone for one day would be amazing!  I was so excited the first time I had the injections.  I walked out with no pain for the first time in 25 years!  I lost my flexibility long ago, which is a hindrance to my life.  I know having the hips replaced will not give me back the flexibility, and I will have to work to have that.  I am curious to know what others have experienced in that area?

I found Coffeeman's discussion to be very helpful, and I believe there is another member that has a link out there as well.  I'm doing all the reading I can to try to keep myself calm!

My surgeon said he is doing the "superior" approach, that I was not the right body type (tummy's too big!! LOL) for the Anterior approach.  I'm hoping that this means I will not have as much pain from the incisions and cut muscles as the Posterior approach.  I will know more in a couple of days, I suppose.

I did buy risers for my recliner, and my hubby is going to put a riser under the couch since I'll have to sleep downstairs for a bit.  I'm nervous, but I'm prepared.  I know there is a lot of pain and discomfort in my near future, but I will come out on the other side so much better!

I am open to any suggestions at this point!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Stacey! Sending you my best wishes for your upcoming bilateral THRs! So sorry you have been suffering so long, and I know you are looking forward so much to a pain-free life. 

As far as tips and suggestions, you might want to check out  "A laymans guide to Total Hip Replacement from one of our users - Rocketman54", which is the last of the resources listed in the pinned discussion at the top of the thread page called THR-Useful Resources: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147. Graham (Rocketman) created this page so that many good ideas regarding recovery issues, based on his experience and those of other users on this site, would be in one place.

You'll get loads of support here. All questions are welcomed, and people are eager to share their stories in the hopes it can help others!

• Posted

Thank you!  I was just reading some of these articles.  I've found a lot of useful information here!
  • Posted

HI Stacey,

i totally get what your saying. It took many years of pain before I finally stated after 8 docs my hip hurts all this time 5 years not one doc xrayed my hip. Hip xrays told the story. At 47 I had bone on bone and totally ready for THR. 

I was happy to get thru recovery for both my hip replacement. Once heeling begins then the better we can move on with our lives. My hips were no longer controlling my day to day life. It was such a relief and well worth the surgery. Follow all the directions exercises and take one day at a time. It's important to have good bone stock & healthy tissue for a good and successful recovery. Be sure u know the name of the manufacture and ask to see the components as well as see the surgery online to better understand ,as well as many good points for recovery recommended by the dr the manufacturer all great info online. 

Best of luck to you! Once your thru recovery you will have the summer to enjoy without the nagging hip pain! I totally support ur decision!

Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you!  I received much more information on my initial visit than I did on the pre-op appt.  It was very frustrating!  I had to call back and speak to his surgical nurse because I didn't feel like he had answered my questions.  I did receive the information I was looking for, but never thought to ask about the manufacterer!  In my area, the surgeon I have is "the" best.  I had never heard of him, but since I've seen him, I've done a lot of research and spoken to many people in my community.  I feel confident in his skills, if not his bedsdie manner!  I will ask about the manufacturer, however.  I have heard of many recalls, so I can't imagine they would use those, but you never know!
    • Posted

Great news Stacey. You are step ahead of the game! 

Stay informed and understanding the surgery helps with the recovery process. Stay strong!

• Posted

Good to recognize that bedside and technical surgical skills are separate areas and surgical skills should trump. BUT too bad your surgeon did not bother to recruit a team to compensate for deficiencies. Patient prep and confidence are also important.

Just reading your post made me happy - congrats on all your hard work to make it to the brink of a lifestyle change ... one that will hopefully finally be without pain. From your reading, I know you will realize that it takes some work after the operation until your body has fully adjusted and recovered. But oh to be w/o the bone-on-bone pain! I am very happy for you. Please stay in touch so we can cheer you on.

L

• Posted

I would prefer that my surgeon be up-to-date with all of the procedures!  His surgical nurse is much nicer and very helpful.  I like her!

I had a left Achilles heel repair last April and it's still not 100%.  It was completely non-weight bearing for 3 months!  I lost a lot of strength and balance through that.  And I'm still working on that.  I know what I'm getting into, but starting to feel bad for my hubby and daughter.  I know they both want to help me, but I hate being a burden.  If the situation was reversed, I would absolutely be there for them!  They are my true loves.

• Posted

I was wondering, Stacey, if you have thought about going to a rehab center for a week or two (or three!) after being in the hospital. You are having both hips done at the same time, and you may have some mobility issues in the beginning. I went home 4 days after my THR on the right hip. I was full weight-bearing on the surgical leg, using walking aids of course, but I was able to get around ok. I will be having another surgery soon and will be non-weight bearing on the surgical leg, and I am planning on going to acute post-hospital rehab this time. It is approved for one week at a time. My "good" leg isn't very strong, nor are my arms, and I don't want my sister or husband to have to lift me around, in case I can't manage well enough on crutches or with the walker. 

What I am trying to say is that things may be more difficult than you might think post-surgery. They also might not be too bad, but you never know until you are in the situation. It is something to think about with bilateral. You can even check places out ahead of time, so that you know what you'd be getting into, if it ends up that you need rehab. I checked out 3 places with excellent ratings by USNews, and 2 of them were not places I would want to stay in, but the 3rd one is spa-like and so beautiful. I will enjoy being there, especially knowing i will not be having my sis or hubby throw out their backs or knees helping me move around! We are all in our late 60's.

• Posted

I am open to that possibility. My doctor said we would know at the time after surgery.  My husband is very supportive, but I worry about putting too much on him, too.  I also have my daughter coming when he has to work.  If they suggest a rehab, then off I go!  biggrin
    • Posted

Good news! Then I would be sure to check out facilities near you that are in your insurance network ahead of time. That way, if you need it, you will be able to choose the facility that you like best and are familiar with.

If you will be at home in the early weeks, then make sure you will be all on the same floor for sleeping, bathroom and eating. Stairs will not be your friend for awhile! The first two weeks are the worst, and it gets better after that. Many people here on this forum have a difficult time sleeping after THR, especially since you are usually required to sleep on your back. I always slept on my side before THR and had a very hard time with this. Had to sleep sitting up for 6 weeks, and did not like it. You might want to practice back sleeping ahead of time, and see if you will need a wedge or pillows to support you and your legs to make you feel more comfortable. 

• Posted

Back sleeping will be the worst!  I also have issues with my back and neck, so if I sleep on my back, I have a great deal of pain.  I think with the pillow under my knees and sitting up somewhat may help.  We shall see!!
    • Posted

Thank you!  I read this before I posted.  Very informative!
  • Posted

Hi Stacey

I'm in my 50,s and have had x3 hip replacements , most recent being a redo of the first one -can't imagine having both together so think you are very brave. Sounds like you are well prepared - is husband or someone going to be at home for first two weeks to give you a hand ? I won't lie and say recovery is pain free but there are painkillers out there which will help . Make sure you have comfy pillows -. It's the (not) sleeping on your back that seems to get most people down . I had posterior approach on right side both times - that was so didnt cut the muscles but could just separate them . I had lateral approach on lefty- didn't knotice any particular difference re recovery with one or the other to be honest . Life will be a lot better for you without constant pain , and you know that from the injections so you are doing the right thing it appears - good luck with it all and let us know when you have a date xxxxxxx

• Posted

My surgery date is May 10th, in two days.  I'm showering with that wonderful medicated wash they gave me.  I can't put on lotion, which really is irritating!

I will make sure to have plenty of pillows around.  My husband is taking time off as he needs to.  My daughter will also be available.  I think I have some good support in place, but that will be up to the doctor and therapists.

I can't imagine have this done 3 times!  And you're only in your 50's?  Wow.  I hope you'll have relief now.

• Posted

I had no choice unfortunately and better than being in such pain all the time . All the best for tomorrow / day after - am sure all will go smoothly for you and family is the best support xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.