MRI scans for bowel disorders

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a simple question for someone out there, I have ongoing bowel problems that are quite severe for five years after failed surgery and tests for the original problem, proctograms, sigmoids, colonoscopies did NOT show what was wrong prior to surgery until a hands on examination under anathetic identified a prolapsed bowel but I am unhappy, still suffering abominable symptoms and think I may also have a blockage or some kind, my question is does anyone know if MRI scans can be used to identify what is wrong with your bowel as under the circumstances my sister says I should push for one, anyone know?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A  C. T. scan with contrast dye injection will show bowel problems ( bowel loops position volvulus and hernias etc.) even a plain X-ray will show whether you have blockage. NHS elective operating waiting lists are long now approaching 40 weeks - Good luck Trevor

• Posted

Thanks Trevor, I will ask my consultant, the reason i want one is would you believe I've had five proctograms to date over this and I have found they do not show up problems effectively hence when I first developed the prolapse, about seven or eight months in, so to speak, i had my first proctogram and it failed totally to show up the fact I was fully prolapsed and needed surgery which I subsequently had after a hands on showed the full extent, the proctogram and the colonoscopy only showed it was prolapsed but not fully so at that stage it was not considered necessary for me to have surgery going on these findings, and also nothing has come back over a blockage which would seem to tally with the fact the proctogram was not adequate in showing other problems, anyway, i don't mind waiting, after nearly six years of constant misery it will be worth it, thanks, Fiona
  • Posted

Ive just googled and it says MRI scans can be used for the bowel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.