New to Orlistat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, Im starting on the Orlistat tomorrow and Ive read as much as I can find on it, which is pretty much whats on the patient information leaflet. I already follow a low fat, low calorie diet and Im struggling to find out how the tablets work if you dont have a fatty diet. Im under the impression if your not eating a high fat diet then the Orlistat starts on your body fat. I cant remember whether I read that or was told that.

Can anyone whose already taking it tell me if this is right or wron please. Thanks Shell.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

No unfortunately it only worka on the fat you eat it won't attack the fat that's already in you.everytime you eat anything overly fatty you have excessive wind and diarrhea with oil in it.the tablets are more of a deterrent to stop people eating a fatty diet to assist them with losing weight.hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi if you type in Orlistat in the search bar then it will bring up some information leaflets that you can read through to give you a better idea of how these pills work.

Orlistat stops your body absorbing 30% of the fat you consume when taken with foods containing fat, if you eat a apple as a snack or just have a salad or foods that don't contain fat then you don't have to take a pill. So take a pill with every meal you eat that contains fat.

You have to follow the fat rule: no more than 5g in 100g of food and no more than 15g fat per meal totalling 45g max per day otherwise you may have the oily side effects you have probably read about.

Eat a healthy low calorie diet with plenty of fruit and vegatables drink plenty of water and exercise and keep below the 15g per meal of fat and the weight should start to come off.

Everyone is different and we all have different amounts of weight to lose some lose it quick or if your like me mine is coming off slow and steady.

If you are going out for a meal and you know that you won't be able to stay under the fat amount my advise would be not to take a tablet with that meal as you would pay the price.

I have not yet had any side effects (touch wood) but I do always make sure I stick below 1500 calories per day and watch what I eat. I use My Fitness Pal which helps a lot as it counts calories, fats etc for you all you have to do is just put in what you have had, you will have to measure your foods but I have got used to that now.

I am going into month 5 and i have lost 1 stone 10lb which my GP said is slow but Im happy with that and I have not yet gained any weight.

Read the leaflets on this site as they will help explain how they work in more detail.

They do work as long as you use them properly, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.