Just been prescribed gabapentin

Posted , 8 users are following.

for nervepain in lower back/hip and leg. MRI in a few days. Known herniated lumbar discs, nerve pain new for past 6 weeks.

I cannot take morphine or derivatives due to it making me feel like I can't breathe so the anti epilepsy drugs are next try.

Dr gave me 300mg capsules but having taken one today I have asked to be given 100mg capsules and I will increase very very slowly. The side effects with one 300mg capsule was spectacular and I could not cope with this again let alone increasing the dose but can only hope that starting very low and only increasing very slowly I can tolerate

My question is, is it possible that just one 300mg tablet taken for the first time give pain relief as I am sure it did with me. Now its wearing off the pain is worse.  My Dr said that it takes up to 2 weeks for pain relief.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

What were side effects. I take 800 mg 3 times a day

And I have no side effects.

• Posted

Initially felt very very drunk but was expecting that. Then I felt very strange in my throat as if it was getting tighter, then got alot of upper stomach and backpain and then very loud popping abdominal sounds. Felt slighty as if breathing was an effort. I felt very very sick.  An hour ago the symptoms started wearing off. Still feel fuzzy headed and gone from feeling sick to very hungry.

I did though get pain relief so do want to try with this drug. I am very reactive to drugs hence not being able to take morphine etc. I really want to try at low dose and work up very very slowly.

• Posted

I was on 3200 for about ,6 months. Dr took me off to fast. Did nothing for my oste arthritis.

Withdrawal for last 3 months. Bad!! If you go off tamper very very slowly!

Feeling better still dealing with some stomach issues!

Good luck. I started at 100 mgs. Built up over time. All it basically did for me was make me sleep good!

• Posted

What was your increasing dose strategy when you started on 100mg. I have seen one hospital dosing chart that says 100mg a day for one week then second week take 2 etc.  My Gp was going by the normal dosing method in the handbook but its too fast and high for me.
    • Posted

That's what mine was. 100 for a week or so to see if it would bother me. I increased over time to 800 4 times a day!!
  • Posted

hi i took gabapentin only 300mg in evening for nerve pain,i suffered drowsiness,became very socially withdrawn,lack of appetite....it did work for the nerve pain plus gave me constant hard on which is a plus...hope you manage the side effects
    • Posted

I wouldn't complain about that mate - I have no libido - on many medications - but my situation is unique - I had sarcoma on my spine and 3  surgeries and 42 radiations - still in pain
  • Posted

Hi deborah . .  .Gabapentin was given to me immediately following knee replacement srugery, my surgeon uses it routinely to deal with post op pain.   it worked immediately for me.  I only realised how really effective it was as pain relief when I started reducing the doseage from 3x300 mg daily . . . once I got down to a lower doseage I realised how well it had been dealing with the arthritic pain in my other knee and lower back . . . I'm now slowly increasing back to the 3 x 300 mg daily doseage which my gp says she is fine for me to take as it is a relatively low dose for this particular drug.  I wish you well in increasing your dosage, I do believe that just one tablet can be effective against pain, it certainly seemed so for me.
    • Posted

This is why I want to try and continue as I had less nerve pain after takig it, just a shame the side effects are so bad at first.  Dr did warn me that I would feel very very drunk and not to drive or leave the house at first until they had dimished so must be common.
  • Posted

Hope it will work for you.  I was started on a low dose and increased but prescribed for GI problems and pain.  I have a bad back and it does nothing for that pain.  Affects my memory and dies maje you feel tired and a bit dizzy when increasing.  I have gained weight, just feel like I need to eat all the time which does not help my stomach.
  • Posted

Hi Deborah -- I would suggest that you contact your doctor before taking more of the gabapentin.  Your side effects/reaction were rather intense and I wonder if you could have had a reaction to the drug -- especially since you are sensitive to medications.  Iam also sensiive to meds, but have been on gabenpentin for three months, working up to 1,200 mg per day, and just experienced a drowsy 'out of it' feeling the first few days.  Good luck.

I am new to the group!  I am taking gabapentin for non-diabetic neuropathy. Is anyone else taking this medication for pain/burning in their feet?  I am thinkiing my pain could be related to herniated discs in my back and am having tests.

• Posted

Dr has given me a presc for the 100mg capsules so will try starting at that dose very slowly.  All my side effects are listed in the paperwork as possible and none are under the serious reaction bit!  I will try again for a few days and if necessary go back to the Dr to discuss.  The digestive side effect is interesting - seems to have given me alot of wind which no I am getting rid of but was a bit uncomfortable when it was building up.  It does seem as if almost anything can be a side effect of this med.  I feel for people with epilepsy who have to take a high dose quickly.
  • Posted

Is your nerve pain a burning or aching/throbbing feeling? My doctor has just prescribed me the same thing for leg pain. Mine feels like my muscles are aching and hurting.. Not burning . Just wonder if this will help before I take it or not.
    • Posted

I have stabbing nerve pain in lower back/hip and down leg with aching in buttocks and and altered sensations.  Gabapentin is used to treat nerve pain as other medication is not generally useful for true nerve pain.
  • Posted

I have increased my dose to 200mg a day and am a bit dizzy when I move my head or stand up. I have no pain relief yet but Dr today said dose was too low to give pain relief and I need to increase it to 600mg over the coming week.  On 100mg I was fine, no side effects but just another 100mg and I feel zombied and dizzy.  Dreading increasing especially when you don't get any pain relief just side effects!

I am waiting for my mri scan results to find out if I am heading to neurosurgeon or pain clinic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.