Week after being told I've rupture achilles feels ok

Posted , 5 users are following.

9 days ago I was playing rugby and felt like I was shot in the back of the leg. Was taken to A and E then minor injuries and they have said ive full rupture on my achilles, I've been in a no weight baring cast for the 9 days. I go back to see consultant of Friday.

Question is I've been pain free last day or 2 and seem to move my foot (as much as I can in a cast)

Does ths mean I might be getting good news come Friday?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Max 

You might be lucky but if they have said it's gone it's unlikely sorry to say

i had no pain either time mine  went and I could always more my foot 

its the raising of the heal that goes which you won't be able to do in a cast

always insist on a scan to see how bad it is and make your decision from there as to have op or not 

your age can play a part if you young and at a high level of sport they might go for op straight away 

I had a boot first time round but wish I'd pushed for op then

second time round 15 weeks after boot came off it went again and had op instead after I refused be put in a boot again 

it's been a year now since my op and I'm back cycling all be it quite low key 

i did mine taking a RFU training course warming up 

hope this helps feel free to ask anything here to help

• Posted

Its good that you are not pain - so that at least as comfortable as can be in the cast. 

I had a complete rupture of achilles, for my case, orthopedics consultant put me for scan to confirm extent of rupture and gap between the 2 ends of the broken tendon. This led to next stage of operation. I am now day 14 after my op.

Keep safe untill friday, keep leg elevated to reduce / prevent swellling.

Good luck for your next appointment.

• Posted

Hi Max

Sorry to hear : (

I would say that you are doing a great job imobilising your leg hence no pain.

From my own experience (I had a tendon transfer)

It will be a couple of months before you come out of boot ide imagine and then start physiotherapy. It's a pretty serious injury which requires patience firstly and to follow doctor's instructions.

Gd luck!

Nikky

• Posted

No pain for me after a rupture... didnt have a scan but you could feel the break low down near the heel. 18 months down the road and its still a bit weak, but getting there.

66yrs, moderrately active. You really need to give it time to heal up, hence the no weight thing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.