Misdiagnosis of depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

There was a very interesting article in the Daily Mail yesterday about thecommon misdiagnosis of depression when it may be adult ADHD. If the latter then treatment required is drugs to boost dopamine eg atomoxetine, not SSRIs such as mirtazapine,which would have no effect and could make things worse. Google "adult ADHD" and youll get a link to the article.

Hope this helps in some cases.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Good point Spencer.  

Evergreen  (lady on the forum) recently pointed out another common misdiagnosis of problems with the thyroid, be it Hyperthyroidism, or Hypothyroidism, the symptoms are the same as depression with anxiety ... now I wonder why doctors don't do a simple blood test which can pin point those 2 before starting us on AD's.

Worth knowing, i'll read the article you pointed out, thank you.

• Posted

As oldboy has already pointed out mirt is not a SSRI
    • Posted

Yes I realise Lynne, but the fact that the symptoms of adult ADHD can be the same as depression I think is interesting, I think that is the point Spencer wants to get over to us.

I read the article, thanks Spencer smile  

• Posted

As you said, Calmer; this is a very interesting point. My anxiety and depression is getting much less now that I am having treatment for hyperthyroidism. One of my sons who has always suffered from anxiety and periods of depression, is now also having tests as I found his resting pulse rate was around 100 bpm! For a young man who is 6'4" that is tachycardia. Finally got him to go to the doctors and he's havng blood tests and ECG next Monday.
    • Posted

Hi Evergreen smile  

Beggars belief really, that an intelligent person can be on AD's for many years in a sedated state, to then find out they had been suffering with ADHD or Hyperthyroidism, which to me sounds pretty shocking, doctors need to check for this in the first instance. 

I'm going to test my sons' resting pulse later, that should be interesting.  Sorry to hear about your son, hope the tests go well, do let me know!  You must be worried, Monday will soon be here, but then how long until results?

I just had tests done, I never realised the NHS offer blood tests annually, but you have to ask for them.  So my Vitamin D levels, Thyroid, kidney & liver function, sugar levels/diabetis check, all normal.  Just forgot to ask about cholestral, so another phone call !  I wonder if there are any other tests I should be asking for after 18 months of Mirt?  Does anyone know?   

All the best for Monday Evergreen x

• Posted

Have you had your B12 checked? That is another deficiency that can cause all kinds of mental symptoms.
    • Posted

No I didn't, anything else?  I'll book in !!  Now I know about the tests I'm onn a roll ...   ...   ...   watch me go haha
    • Posted

B12 deficiency can cause significant fatigue too. I now have to have injections every three months. I recall that is one of your symptoms? The trouble is, the UK 'normal' range is so low and many people feel quite ill even when they are within that range. I think it is under 200 whereas in Japan it is over 500.
    • Posted

Hi Evergreen

Yes I do get fatigue as a withdrawal symptom around day 5/6, and almost all the time when I was on 15 mg !!  But it eases up, so am confident Mirt' causes it.

I've looked into B12, and the reason China/Japan have a higher base line is because they are prone to different diseases ... apparently ... one can never know if you're being fobbed off of course.  

How are you feeling now?  Have the meds helped? x

• Posted

I'm getting there I think. But a bit confused by symptoms at present because my inner tremor has become worse, especially at night, and my appetite has dropped again. More blood tests next week and also my heart test results soon so I should know a bit more.
    • Posted

Oh dear, still difficult for you ... heart test results ... do you have palpitations or something else?  

Hope you're managing to work alright x

• Posted

Things have improved dramatically the last two days. On the downside my nails have started separating from the nail beds and will probably all fall off. But the new growth is much healthier (I had half and half nails with no half moons at all, now half moons have appeared). I suddenly have more energy too and my heart palps and chest pains have all but gone. I have started to put on weight and my appetite has returned. I am now going to have to watch what I eat like a normal person again. Hopefully this up turn in my health will last, as normally I crash after my good days. We'll see. I am still very anxious and a bit depressed, but that's down to worries about our financial future, not depression per se. How are yoou doing?
    • Posted

Yes I remember you saying of the life change this summer.  It is an unknown difficult journey and I think anyone in your shoes would be apprehensive.  Apprehension is always the worst part, once the time that "was ahead" is here and now, it never seems as bad as our idiotic racing minds fools us into believing will be impossible to bear ... so thinking of our future life change is actually harder than the real thing, maybe.

I hope you continue to improve, that's good to hear, two steps forward and all that ... what is the nail loss due to?  Well putting on a few pounds can't be such a bad thing for you after everything that has happened, it will help you I'm sure, certainly helps with improving sleep.  

I am good at the mo, the tapers just seem to merge one into another, nothing to report really, it has been a long time since I began (end of September) and I can't quite believe I am still at 3.6 and still far to go with the tiny drops ... I can only try this method to the best of my ability, feel like a guinea pig somewhat as few have reported on this.  One lady who followed my painstaking plan right up to about 1.8 mg was great until 2 weeks after, but she wouldn't return to finish off to 0.1 .... so frustrating to see or read of the anxiety etc.  

So I continue to be overweight, because it is so hard to lose the "Mirt weight", my sleep is good, so long as I keep to a healthy sleep schedule, otherwise it can get pretty crappy, say if I stay up until midnight its like an over tired baby, sleep just won't come.  Whats that all about ggrrrrr ...

Kind thoughts, and as always, wishing you well Evergreen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.