Need help.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 20 yr old, I've recently checked my fasting glucose which was 4.94mmol/l and my HbA1C was 6.30 %

Am i at risk ? 

Please do reply me.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ahsani,

I am not a doctor but have spent the last couple of years controling my T2 Diabetes with a mixture of diet, exercise and monitoring my blood sugars every day, so I speak from experiance gained over the past couple of years.

From my understanding I would suggest that the readings you quote are perfectly normal so I would not worry.

In answer to your second question no you are not at risk, but to help ensure a healthy future just make sure that you eat sensibly, take some exercise and try not gain too much weight.

When I was initially diagnosed I must admit I went into panic mode and was devestated, but over time I have learnt a lot and now have no real concerns following all the things I did.

Hope this helps and I am sure others will help with any concerns you may have.

Graham.

• Posted

Hello Graham09410 

Thanks for replying.. 

My Dr said all the things that what you have said above, but he said that im pre diabetec, as my Plasma glucose reading was perfect so he said not to worry you are fine just need to avoid sugary things.

• Posted

Hi Ahsani,

Unfortunately, the information offered by graham09410 is erroneous.  Your HbA1c level of 6.3% is NOT normal.  It's within the range of pre-diabetes.

Because your fasting blood glucose level of 4.94 mmol/l ... though I'm not sure how you managed to get such a result, unless you were tested in a pathology laboratory ... is well within the 'normal' range, it indicates that you are already glucose intolerant.  This means, my friend, that you SHOULD be worried.  You are on the way to developing type 2 diabetes.

What has your doctor told you to do?  S/he should have offered you advice on controlling your diet and taking more exercise.  Also, if you are overweight, to try and lose any extra 'baggage' that you're carrying.

• Posted

Hello micksmixxx

Thanks for replying.

you are right my HbA1C is lying in pre diabetec.. 

But im sure about about my plasma glucose fasting result as it's been tested by reknown laboratory. And i've done it by me self so i've to readings of my plasma glucose both are fine. 

Dr Just said to me that you dont need any special diet plan just avoid soft drinks, sweets and all things which have a high level of sugar.

• Posted

I just wanted to add some thing that I'm doing gym for past 2.5 years i've gained weight from 48 kg to 64 kg naturally. So we can say that I'm active with a healthy diet.
    • Posted

Hi Ahsani,

Please forgive me for taking so long to get back to you.

I only mentioned your blood glucose level, and that it would have taken a pathology laboratory to have been able to have given you such a precise figure as home blood glucose meters are simply not accurate enough to be able to give you a figure with two decimal places ... two figures after the full stop/period.

You are doing exactly the right thing by exercising.  It allows your body to better able utilise [utilize, if you prefer the American spelling] the insulin that your pancreas produces.  (Insulin is used to 'transport' glucose, which we get from the breakdown of carbohydrates during the digestive process, into the body's cells where it is used to create energy, thereby keeping us alive.)

In pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes the body's cells have become resistant to the effects of the insulin that continues to be produced by the beta cells (islets of Langerhans) of the pancreas.  This means that more and more insulin is required to have the same effect as a non-diabetic would require.  (Some types of medication that a doctor might prescribe for someone with diabetes, or pre-diabetes, stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin ... these are called sulfonylureas ... but these are a 'second line' medication.  Doctors would normally prescribe Metformin for someone that has pre-diabetes.  This type of medication works in a totally different way to sulfonylureas.  It's called a biguanide, and it works by inhibiting glucose production by the liver; inhibiting absorption of glucose through the walls of the intestines; and reduces insulin resistance.  There are yet other types of medication in the doctor's arsenal, but many doctors will give dietary and exercise advice initially to see if this works for individual patients.  It's only when this doesn't work that many doctors will start prescribing medications.  This MAY work for SOME pre-diabetics and SOME type 2 diabetics, but certainly not all, otherwise there wouldn't be type 2 diabetes anymore.

From what you've written, it does sound like your doctor is seeing how things go with the advice no cutting out soft drinks, sweets, and things that have a high level of sugar and, hopefully, this will be sufficient for yourself.  The only way to know, is to try it.  If your blood sugar (glucose) levels continue to be above the 'normal' range, this is when your doctor will recommend you starting on oral medications.  (There are also injectable medications as well as insulin that are used by SOME type 2 diabetics, but these tend to be once the oral medications have ceased to be able to help control blood glucose levels.)

I wish you well, Ahsani.

Mick

• Posted

Hello micksmixx

One thing im not getting is that if im pre diabetec then my plasma glucose fasting should be more than 100 as normal condition is 70-100 if im not wrong, but my plasma glucose is in 80's which is perfectly normal.

• Posted

Hello Ahsani,

I understand your confusion, my friend, but your fasting plasma glucose level doesn't necessarily need to be outside of the range that you specify.  That simply indicates what your blood glucose level is on rising (getting up).  It doesn't indicate what your post prandial (after eating) blodo glucose levels are.

If your fasting blood glucose levels are always within the 'normal' range, you MOST PROBABLY have glucose intolerance, which means that your blood glucose levels rise above the 'normal' range or your blood glucose level remains high for an extended period of time.  It's this result that's being reflected in your HbA1c level.  (HbA1c offers an 'average' of what your blood glucose level has been like over the previous 3 months.  It doesn't register at which point(s) your blood glucose level rises in any specific time period. i.e. your post prandial blood glucose levels MAY be rising above the 'normal' level of 140 mg/dL [7.8 mmol/l for those who use the International Standard for blood glucose measurement].

Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT) indicates that your pancreas doesn't work efficiently at producing sufficient quantities of insulin to counter the foods and/or drinks that you imbibe.

Mick

• Posted

Hello

Your HgbA1C falls within the range of 6.0 to 6.4 which supports a diagnoses of pre-diabetes.

Your doctor should repeat this test. There are times when the level can be elevated in conjunction with other conditions, so by repeating this and also having a Glucose Tolerance Test done, the results will be more definitive.

Lill

• Posted

Hello lill983898

Thanks for replying..

Well, im on strict diet for 3,4 days.. I will repeat this test.. But According to Dr there is not any chance to change the hbA1c result in one week but im trying my best and hoping to change the reslut slightly.

• Posted

Hello

Yes, there would be no point in doing the repeat HBA1C this soon.

I would say at least wait three , maybe four months.

I would suggest to you that in addition to dietary changes it is very highly important that you get daily exercise. This goes a long way to help you.

Beyond that, I recommend, if you are able, to make an appointment to see a dietician and to have education that makes it very clear as to what  you should be doing for intake. There is more to it than "sugary foods" and it is important for you to  have the complete knowledge in order to stave off diabetes or reverse this prediabetes.

Lill

• Posted

Acutually i've applied in armed forces as a commissioned officer, in final medical i've got a fasting glucose reading of about 5.9 on which Dr. points me out and asked me to do BSF and Hba1C.

So, on next day i went to laboratory for testing in which i've got normal result of Plasma glucose which was 5.1 but hBA1c was 6.3%.. Now im very nervous about my selection.

• Posted

Ah. I understand.

Pre diabetes is something that can be reversed with knowledge and effort.

Exercise and dietary knowledge are key.

I am thinking you will do fine and will achieve your desire to be an officer.

Go to a dietician to help you understand the food and how it relates to this!

Lill

• Posted

6.3 is most definately pre diabetic and exactly what my HbA1C was when I was diagnosed 20 years ago.   Change your diet!
    • Posted

Hello tony09890 

Thanks for replying.

What was your plasma glucose fasting and random result ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.