Hydrocele Surgery - My Experience - It's OK

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a big hydrocele on my right testicle - surgery 2 weeks ago.

Advice: Get a good urolgoist and seek a second opinion. My first guy said not to do it, second guy recommended it but said it was up to me totally. Ask loads of questions about any concenrs you may have.

I was really concerned before the operation. However the recovery was a lot better than I expected - I was able to walk normal 3 days after operation - slight discomfort for 2-3 days - feet up and loads of ice - no pain killers.

The testicle is still swollen although not as bad as I expected and the scar is healing well.

I wanted the operation for my peace of mind - it was uncomfotable and also maybe impacted fertility.

Good doctor - straight forward op - quick recovery - will be scar tissue left over and bit of swelling for a while - bruising not too bad.

The thought of anybody cutting open my balls was so unappealing . However, I am happy I went ahead with the op

The doc told  me they got over a litre of fluid. I couldn't believe it!

Best of luck!

Any questions shout

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi how big was it? Mine is big as an egg on my right and already feel very uncomfortable.
    • Posted

Was almost the size of a lemon / tennis ball at times Glad I got it done.

Was easier than I expected. I wouldn't go near it myself with aspiration. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks! I have spoken 2 Docs. Both said, aspiration does not help and it has very high risk of inflammination. Need a proper surgery to get it done. Hope it wont be far.
    • Posted

Best of luck wih it. It's as bad as you think - actually a lot easier than I expected post op.
  • Posted

Hello what the doctor said about Impact of hydrocele On fertility
    • Posted

Docs said no form evidence that they impact fertility. However, they do increase scrotal temperature so that's not good. I don't think there are really too many studies done on impact of hydrocels on fertility so they may have a negative impact on some people.

Go for operation if your gut is telling you to do it.

• Posted

Does any percentage of swelling remain permanent?Thank You.
    • Posted

Will always be a bit bigger, not too sure how much swelling will remain. However going down steadily. 
    • Posted

Ohh...will it be bigger for throughout the life?oh my God! I can't believe... Anyway, thanks brother!
    • Posted

Ya, will stay a bit bigger - however a lot better than before. Cnd best of luck
    • Posted

Can that swelling be seen through clothes bro?I mean will it spoil our appearance?Imagine if we are wearing some track pants or jogging pants...will it be visible through these pants?Thanks.
    • Posted

I don't notice it now. Maybe if you wore rea;;y tight pants you may notice something in the short term after op.

Overall, a lot better than before op and this is only 3 weeks after op. Hopefully as time progresses will even get smaller. Best of luck

• Posted

Could take 6-12m for swelling to go - if translucable (fluid you can shine a light through = probable hydrocele) swelling persists after that and bothers you again possibly try a different surgeon next time!
  • Posted

When the first doctor said not to get teh surgery done, did he say if the hydrocele could possibly go away on its own? I've had mine for a couple of months now and the first Urologist suggested surgery. The ultrasound doesn't show any signs of infection.

• Posted

Hi,

No he said the hydrocele was there to stay. 10 weeks post op - it is a lot smaller now. However there is some scar tissue so still some swelling but a lot better than before. Overall, if a good surgeon it should be straight forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.