Severe gut pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am out of hospital for 14 days now, with diverticularitist, although this time I have pain high up in my gut, I tried to tell my consultant about it, she fobbed me off with "probably the ante biotics, it will settle down" I knew it was something else, after all the years I've had fybromyalgia and diverticularitist and IBS, I've not experienced this pain. I've taken esomeprazole 40mg x2 and gaviscon, it's not shifting and I'm in so much pain. Anyone have any advice x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi trisha

I just had my first flare of diverticulitis 6 weeks ago.I was on the cipro and flagl for two weeks and STILL having pain.Different pain sometimes,it moves around.I get the low cramping but have upper belly pain too.I had another cat scan two weeks ago and they said the infection looks good so I am baffled.I still am on a bland diet because ever time I try to eat something else it gets worse.The pain up high confuses me as well.At first I thought gas but now Im not sure.So I know what you mean.You know your body better then the Dr.

Do you mind if I ask you if this is common to take this long to heal?It has been 6 weeks and the paines wax and wain.My Dr just ran more blood work because he thinks I should be pain free now but when I talk to people with Diverticulitis,some say it can take weeks to monthsto feel right..

Maybe you should get a second opinion?

• Posted

I have never had this pain unless it's a gastric virus, that's been ruled out. And funny you say about a 2nd opinion, I am going to see different doctor tomorrow, no doubt she will send me to a&e where I will have to stay in until they get to the root of it, they never do, I just don't have any faith in them , I'm talking through experience not being pessimistic x thanks for your reply
  • Posted

You might want to get on some good quality probiotics. Mainstream medicine is finally starting to accept and recognize the harm done by bacterial imbalances in the intestinal tract.  These are caused by nutitional imbalances, the ingesting of "bad" bacteria and also the use  of antibiotics.  
    • Posted

I also started Yakult last week, thanks, it just seems to be one thing after another, and it also depends on the doctor you see, some are more vigilant than others . Thanks fortggggggggg
    • Posted

Mary...can you recommend a good probiotic?I take flora stat 15 billion for diverticulitis but I think it makes me bloated.
    • Posted

Did the doc who set you up on your treatment have you take an anti acid or proton pump inhibitor while you were treated? This would have made it easier for any ulcers to heal.  You would have been on it during the treatment and for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Some docs will even recommend patients get on probiotics during the treatment and afterwards --- but it doesn't sound like yours did.

Go to an established health food store that has been around awhile.  (Try to avoid corporate run chain stores).Speak with whoever  runs the place and ask for some live probiotics that cover the stomach, small intestine and large intestine with good bacteria.  The kind of people who frequent health food stores often come back and tell the staff what they think of the product; what works and what's not so great.  Discuss this with the staff person.   Also, keep in mind that live bacteria often need to be refrigerated so I open the bottle and get one capsule out with the refrigerator door open so I don't accidently leave the stuff on the counter at room temp.  You might get some gas from the probiotics but you probably  will start to get some  improvement after a short while  if, in fact, you no longer have the H. pylori in your system and are simply dealing with a bacterial imbalance.  While in  the store ask about  how long it usually takes to get the bacterial balance back.

There is  also an issue of probiotics getting destroyed going through the stomach acid and some probiotic capsules are enteric coated for that reason so ask about that as well.  

Also, you can start asking your regular health care person when you can get a breath test to make sure you have gotten rid of the H. Pylori problem as you might still have some  symptoms.

This should give you some time lines and a plan of action and an understanding  of what to expect in the short term.  Whether you decide to stay on them permanently is up to you.  Your gi system is part of your immune system and mainstream  medicine is starting to figure out that some digestive system diseases,  i.e.  IBS are related to bacterial imbalances, so probiotics are finally being recognized  for the important role they play. 

I am going  to be seeing a holistic GI doc soon and will ask him about any additional ideas.

• Posted

Thank you for all your advice and efforts to help me, you have really surpassed all my expectations that someone would take the time to give me so many ideas and hope. You are a star xxxxx

• Posted

Here is some additional information regarding bloating:

Bloating -- can be caused when you first start on probiotics and they are knocking out the bad bacteria.  The second reason for bloating is that most probiotics are diary based and if you have any resistance to dairy you will react with bloating.  What you can do about it: 1. there are some non dairy probiotics available, but you will have to look for them -- I don't know UK brands as I am in the US. Find a health food store. They are usually made from rice of soya milk, and they don't have as long a shelf life.

2. or you can cut back on the dosage of the probiotics you are using until you don't have a bloating problem and then gradually work your way back up.

Friendly digestive system bacteria can be found in certain foods in large doses. In that form they are called prebiotics. They are mainly fruits and vegetables, particularly beans, jicama, asparagus, onions garlic, bananas, unpeeled kiwi, artichokes, root vegetables, apples and pears.

You can supplement a cut back on probiotics by increasing these.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.