My hands are so red

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with secondary polycythemia. Secondary being COPD. My hands are so red. I have red that red hands is a classic symptom of PV. My question is "why". What causes it. I have googled it with no luck. My family Dr. Is very good but she put it done to nerves and anziety. I am not a nervous person at all. If anyone can help with an explanation I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou

Ellen

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When did you last have your blood pressure checked? Don't be anxious, I know what it's like. If you are itching in your hands, ask your doctor to proscribe you a hayfever drug. That will deal with the itching. Also, ring your consultants department and tell them your concerned and could they fit you in. You may need blood off. Stop worrying. Once you get the treatment the symptoms will start to subside.
  • Posted

Sorry I don't have an solution.

My right foot underneath is red and very itchy, my face is red and blotchy most times.

If I put on foundation to hide it, it get worse.

• Posted

Ask your consultant's department if they can take you early and that you are suffering and getting stressed by your symptoms. They may take a pint of blood off you to get your red cell count near to level. Best wishes
    • Posted

HI there! My blood pressure is fine. I am not stressing. My guess is you are right ona unit of blood taken off. I have not had blood work done now for 3 months. The Hemotologist sent a report to my gp and said no plebotomy's. Blood work every 4 months. My red blood cell count was high on my last appointment with her. She said it was elevated but not serious. I was only to stay on blood thinners and monthly B-12 injections. Blood work done once every 4 months. Guess I will have to wait just a bit longer to have complete blood count test. She felt with this being secondary that treatment for the COPD is the answer. It's the very red hands that has me wondering. If when I get my blood work done, I think that in itself will give a good indication of  what  the problem is. I am hoping anyway.
    • Posted

If it's up at all, tell your consultant you want blood off. If it's not normal it's not right. 1st thing Monday call and tell them your physically uncomfortable and to sort it out.
  • Posted

Hi! you are the first one that I remember mentioning the red hands thing.

I too have had this red hand thing since developing Poly V...it is part of the

disease...and I can tell if I need a phlebotomy by how red the palms get.

I have had 2 different cancer (both in remission) in the past 3 years and then

came this Poly V.  I will NOT take meds but have a weekly lab done so I can

see what my HCT level is in my blood..any number over 44 I need a phelbotomy

When I first discovered I had Poly V the number was in the high 50's.  I have

had PV for over 3yrs now...and I have my own program of NOT eating any foods

that are high in Iron such as red meats, kale, spinach etc.  I also drink 1/2 gallon

of water daily and walk.  My HCT number is in the low 40's now and I feel great

I do not take Iron pills or an med offered by the doctor.  I wish you luck??

I truly believe that the body will heal itself if taken care of...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.