I think I may have had a mini-stroke about 8 years ago.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was shopping with my son for school supplies about 8 years ago and we got to the locker shelf stuff and suddenly out of nowhere I was totally confused. I didn't even know what the item was that we were looking for! Somehow or another I was able to check out and pay for the things that we got I was terribly confused. I remember I was afraid that I may not even be able to drive because I didn't even know if I could drive. But then we went through McDonald's drive-thru and I was very confused ordering, couldn't think of what a hamburger was, but I made it through! It didn't last long and it ended. I talked to my doctor and he seemed to think it was just like a pre menopausal brain fart or something. I'm wondering... should I do anything now? I've been perfectly healthy, never had any other instance of this. My blood pressure is great it's always low. I have low thyroid so I tale Levoxyl. Just wondering if there's something I should do now or if it's too late and doesn't matter since its been 8+ years. Thanks in advance! I don't know what made me start thinking about this now, but maybe it's a God-Thing.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Eight years is a long time ago and it could have been due to so many things.  Heat, low blood sugar, a virus or hormones, etc.,  however, the fact that you are still worried or have started looking for a reason now makes me suggest you need to put your mind at rest.  Go and talk to your doctor and perhaps ask for a brain scan.  I don't know if you have insurance or are in a non paying country.  If you've had a stroke it will show up on a scan.  

My husband discovered after a stroke and scan that he'd had a TIA Before his present strokes as it showed up on a scan.  At the time of the first episode, he had suffered a numb arm and high blood pressure but I thought he'd been sleeping on his arm on a sofa and although we called an ambulance, they didn't take him to hospital, which I now regret as the second stroke left him with slight organisational difficulties and a stiff left hand.  It's early days at five months but as his wife, I can see a few subtle changes which I'm not sure he'll recover from.  

The other thing you could do is talk to your local stroke association as they may be able to offer suggestions as well.  

I want to reassure you and I think you would have had another episode after the first before now if it had been a TIA.

if you are over 60 years a blood pressure monitor for the arm, not the wrist, is a good investment too.

• Posted

Thank you for the response! I am only 56.

It sounds as if you have a medical background? I haven't even really thought about this event but I ran across something on strokes, recently and I started wondering.

Anyway, I will check with my Dr. on a brain scan.

I do hope your husband has a full recovery.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Mumbles1, Nancy didn't have a stroke. She said  everything went back to normal ,and this doesn't happen with stroke. It could however happen with a TIA, but a TIA won't show up on a scan. As I said and you also say, if it had been a TIA at 48 years of age then I'm sure Nancy would've had another episode by now.

• Posted

Dear Nancy

I read your account and thought you appear to have done all the right things. Visiting your doctor and getting advice from him/her. Although I wouldn't have driven being so confused and being aware of it. I think you should keep a written account of what happened to you and if you continue to be anxious contact your doctor and talk it through with them. When I had my stroke I was aware of everything around me. I wasn't aware I couldn't walk straight or talking strangely. My daughter was insistent she should phone for an ambulance and I said no please don't fortunately she ignored what I said. She remembered the TV add about strokes and she was right I was taken to hospital where we were informed I had or was having a stroke I remember little of what next happened. Please continue to talk to your doctor. Therapy girl all the best

• Posted

Hi, bit scary!

Amazes me how many Doctors fob middle aged women off with something to do with menopause. Sure that's what's happening to me, plus compounded because I used to be a Nurse Practiotione and that makes GPs feel threatened I think, or they think you're a hypochondriac. Do you mean that you couldn't find the right words for things eh Hamburger? You're young for a TIA (mini strokes don't exist, it's either a stroke or a TIA) I wonder if your BP dropped lower and that was enough to give quite severe brain fog. Were you sweaty, any palpitations, flashing lights, funny smells or anything? I would say that at that age, if it had been a TIA then by now you would've had another event. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I had a mini stroke a few days ago and I didn't know I had one until I arrived to the hospital. The day before I had the mini stroke my legs and arms were sore. When I got to the doctor, they done tests and said that it wasn't a stroke. So when I came home, I got a phone call that they should have gave me a head scan. I was ok for a few days and now I have the dizziness back and my arms are very sore along with headaches. What should I do?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.