Long term ssri and antidepressant use as a teenager

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 19 year old male. Back in 2010 when I was 12 or 13 I began taking Sertraline for OCD and Depression. That did me some good, by the time I was 14 I was a lot better, but my parents at the psychiatrists advice continued their prescription. In the summer of 2014 when I was 17 I stopped taking Sertraline and began taking 15mg of Mirtazapine and two Fluexetine pills as I was more depressed than ever. These helped a little bit, and I came off the Fluexetine late last year. I've just recently come off the Mirtazapine.

I'm 19 now, and up until now, I've been on tablets constantly ever since I was 13. I'm worried that the long term use of ssris and antidepressants have stunted my growth/development. Although my GCSE's weren't bad and my IQ is fine, I get a feeling I look significantly younger than I am. I'm also stressed, and I've noticed what looks like grey hairs in my beard recently. I can't grow a full beard either, yet I seem to have white hairs in it already. I'm also 2 inches shorter than my father and I have small hands and weak arms. I also have a pot belly and far too much fat on my chest for my taste, they kind of look like man boobs. I don't weigh that much for my height either. I've been told that I don't look my age by a few people recently, one young girl even went so far and said where's your mother, and giggled.

These things I've told you have made me question my development, I don't think I'm a man and I feel unattractive to girls. I can't get an honest answer so easy about my age anyway as I don't have any friends at all, I'm isolated. Do any of you know anyone who has had stunted development from long term prescription drug use or do you have any of these problems?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are the forum troll James,you need to stop changing your ID and posting silly questions.
    • Posted

Nah if I was trolling I would be posting far more questions and the questions would actually be amusing. What kind of dick would troll on a medical website?
    • Posted

Plastic cutlery and pukka pies?

If you're going to do it, remember which ones you've already posted, and under which I.D.

• Posted

Hi Jamie

I don't think these meds stunt your growth.  I've taken Citalopram (another type of SSRI) for over 20 years, and though an adult, haven't had any problems.  Stress might make you have grey hair, but I'd think it may be more genetic than anything else.

Have you thought of taking up working out in the gym.  This would build muscle, stamina, confidence and also exercise is the best thing for depression and stress as it releases endorphins which make us happy.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.