Love Zomig - any migraine prevention meds that have similar effect?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Migraines since 20, now 57. Used to be menstrual and mid-cycle, but post-menopause and they still attack me. Triggers : stress; lack of sleep (not partying, just insomnia and anxiety); possibly alcohol but low tolerance anyway and sometimes can drink a little and no ensuing migraine.  About 7 years ago was given a Zomig by a friend and loved it since then. Not only does it dispense with migraine for about 24 hours, I also feel chilled and usually can sleep too. Concerned though about taking it too often, have been very stressed lately, sleep terrible and migraines 2/3 a week. Tried Amitriptylene for a week, made me so drowsy I couldn't function at work and felt unsafe driving. Maybe I would have got used to it?? But would have had to take time off work for that period.  I would love to feel how I do when Zomig is working ALL of the time. Wondering about asking Doctor for Propanolol - any thoughts on this welcome. smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sally

my migraine is exactly like yours, so much for not getting migraine after the menopause !!!!

I have had different triptans over the years and have had to change when they've become less effective. Last week My GP swopped me from Almotriptan (Almogran) to zolmitriptan although I haven't needed to take one yet.

at times of stress my migraines increase from one a month to 3-4, as each episode can last up to 3 days I usually end up taking 3 triptans each time.

i do worry about taking too many

i have been taking propranolol for two years for dystonia and I'd say at first I had less migraine attacks and certainly less ordinary headache days.

think my bodies used to them now and still reacts to the triggers of stress, lack of sleep, changes in routine, travelling etc.

one word of warning - propranolol is contraindicated with some triptans like maxalt so look into this first

Good luck

• Posted

Do a search for Instant Migraine Relief With Himalayan Crystal Salt. I have not tried it 
  • Posted

Hi I have been taking Propanolol, since April 2015.. has not reduced my migraines, has reduced the intesity of the pain from10 - 6, Isuffer daily migraines..

Be aware started on a low dose, then asked to gradually increase I can get to 150mg, any more than I suffer severe headaches..

They do get use to your system, if you reduce you headches increase

Also they prescribed a new brand 100mg, (when I ran out) when I took 1 the next 2 day's severe dizzy spells could not get out of bed really bad, I know stagger the dose.

This is the only med's I've not had much side effects

I take a triptan every day, I've tried to wean off, however cannot withstand the pain

I've suffered from Migraines since 7 since 2000 migraines increased 2014 chronic

I pary and wish all sufferes to find a remedy that work's for them

Good luck  

• Posted

Hi, there. Just had to write when I read you take a triptan everyday. You could be in a rebound headache loop because the triptans are not meant to be taken everyday. Not sure how to break it but you might want to discuss options with your neurologist. Perhaps a daily preventative might help break the cycle. 

Best to you. 

• Posted

Hi Patricia, I don't know what to do.. I've tried to wean of cannot withstand the pain..

I am on preventative new one Cilexetill, gave me one day break, I've tried cupping/ accupunture.

Im looking in to rehab now

• Posted

Hi, Sally. 

I too am a 57 postmenopausal woman and have suffered with migraine for 30+ years. The docs all told me the migraines would go away once I hit menopause. They were wrong. 

Can relate to the stress/anxiety/sleep cycle. I also tried Amitryptilene and got off of it after 2 weeks. I don't tolerate strong drugs. 

I went the natural herbal route and it seems to be working well. I also take bio-identical progesterone to help with sleep and anxiety and it is great. 300 mg. I wish I had known about the stress/progesterone relationship years ago. 

I am now meditating regularly to calm my mind. I exercise daily and watch my food triggers. I also give myself much more down/relaxation time where I do nothing! Too much analytical thinking stresses the brain. 

Hope these help. Wish you well and let us know how you are doing. 

• Posted

Hi patricia

are you saying the progesterone has reduced your migraine in any way?

ive tried everything and recently (I'm 59) I'm having more than ever !!

• Posted

Hi Patricia, When you say the natural herbal route, which herbs do you find useful? Will have to look for the bio-identical progesterone, I'll be visiting our local natural food store today. I have been cutting down work as much as I can afford, and am being more selective about hobbies as I know I tend to do too much. Thanks for the recommendations, it all sounds very sensible.
  • Posted

I don't have much to add to this discussion, just wanted to say I have the same problem.  Used to get menstrual migraines very rarely - maybe 1, 2, or 3 a year max. (sometimes none), but now I'm 3 years post menopause and I've had 11 already this year and 59 normal headaches.

Was put on Propranolol in December last year and it worked a treat for a few weeks, but just recently I felt the deepest, blackest depression I've ever felt in my life and it was the propranolol.  I stopped taking it last week and every day I feel a bit better and almost back to normal. 

It has put me right off drugs.  I'd also love to find out more about more natural remedies.  My biggest trigger is going on the PC or doing any close-up work like embroidery, so I'm not on here very often any more.

Hope you find something that works for you, OP.

• Posted

Yes. I forgot to mention close work and screens, which are also triggers for me. I had a tablet bought for me at Christmas, that is terrible really because it's too easy to pick it up frequently and then get sucked in. So I'm back to the laptop which just takes that extrta effort to use. Also being out too long in strong sunlight, and having to drive in it. Thanks for sharing your Propanolol experience, I definitely am not tempted by that now. Good luck to you too.
  • Posted

Yes, same for me with the strong sun and driving in it.  Also alcolhol, I can't even have one drink.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for you not trying Propranolol, maybe it would work for you.  I just wanted to let people know that it's a possible side effect, not really mentioned in the leaflet that comes with it, unless you can call "mood changes",  depression.  If you google Propranolol and Depression you can find other people saying the same thing, but maybe we are just 1% of users?

We are all so different in our chemistry, what is a wonder-drug to one person is another person's side-effect nightmare!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.