PCOS, normal hormones, and regular periods

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had several CT scans for different reasons and whenever I get the results back I have multiple cysts on my ovaries. My doctors don't seem to say anything other than the cysts are on my ovaries on my CT scan report. I also still ovulate. I've been diagnosed with cysts on my ovaries since I was 18. I also have an anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders run on my mom's side of the family. I was put on birth control at 18 and gained about 20 pounds. Could there be a connection between the anxiety and PCOS?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tonia,

I defiantly think the two are linked. I got diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 (now 36) and I have panic disorder with agoraphobia. I didn't start getting anxiety till I was 18, right after I had my first baby, but ever since then it's been a ongoing struggle. All my doctors have been able to tell me is that they think my anxiety is hormone related and they gave me an antidepressant which doesn't help that much. It's horrible.

• Posted

I was put on birth control pills at 18 because of cysts. I was diagnosed at 21 with OCD. Anxiety disorders run in my family. In July of 2015 my Paxil quit working and I have been basically homebound since. My anxiety gets horrible the week before my period now. This morning for no reason at all I felt like I had drank a whole pot of coffee. I get really jittery and have heart palpitations. I just got out of the hospital Tuesday before last and they are finally taking me on Paxil and putting me on Prozac. So far it's not been an easy titration. I'm on 45mg of Paxil and 10mg of Prozac. Upped my clonazepam to 1 mg. I get anxious just going to the doctor. They want me to take Zyprexa, an antipsychotic, but I'm not too fond of it. I have heart palpitations and the jitters a lot. I've never been this bad.
    • Posted

I defiantly feel you, I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm currently taking Prozac, when I first started it I had worse anxiety for like two weeks. They first tried Symbyax, it's Prozac and Zyprexa together but it made me to sleepy and I have a four year old. My doctor wanted me to take the Zyprexa for awhile to calm my anxiety since it's gotten so bad then go off it and just be on Prozac but I don't like it. My mom also had PCOS and had anxiety, she had a hysterectomy at 28 but I don't think that helped her. My older sister also has PCOS but she doesn't have anxiety but has OCD. My anxiety gets 100 times worse the week before my period and I have horrible mood swings so I also take Depakote as a mood stabilizer (it also helps with anxiety).
    • Posted

I have a hard time getting off of medications and I'm so scared to try anything else. How long have you been on the depakote? Were you on the Zyprexa long and did you gain weight or have a hard time getting off of it? I'm scared to try the depakote because it causes hair loss and these meds I'm already on are causing that and my thyroid. So are you able to go out of the house much? Anxiety is such a bad mental illness. My daughter started having problems in kindergarten and we put her on Zoloft when she went in the second or third grade. She couldn't even sleep at night because she knew she had to go to school the next day. Currently she's not really taking her Prozac, but her doctor told her to at least take it 5 days a week. She has OCD and gets the intrusive thoughts and she has to pray when she does and when they get bad she's wanting her Prozac. She's 13 so she's at that age where she just wants to take melatonin to sleep. I think she thinks she really doesn't need it anymore, but when those thoughts come in her head she's asking for it. I tell her it doesn't work that quick. So what symptoms do you have with your PCOS? My hands shake and I get the feeling my heart is just jittery or going to beat out of my chest. Sometimes it's so bad I have the feeling like I have to get up and walk and not sit still or I'll go nuts.
    • Posted

I've been on the Depakote for about 10 years, I tried going off of it last year but my anxiety intensified so I went back on it and it started to subside after a few days. Depakote works pretty quickly, and I haven't had any hair loss. I only took the Symbyax (Zyprexa and Prozac) for 6 days, I did gain 2lbs in that 6 days. I don't get out too much, I don't drive alone and don't like to go far from my house, it's awful! What about you? The PCOS symtoms I get is a lot of hair growth on my face, pain on my ovaries, and horrible periods. My periods had always been normal but recently they have been off. What about you? I'm sorry about your daughter, that sounds awful. My oldest daughter has a lot of issues as well, she's 18 now and her meds seem to be helping her a bit, but she's bipolar and has boarderline personality she also has anxiety but not as bad as mine.
    • Posted

What mg did they have you on the Zyprexa?

I get acne like bumps on my face all the time and my hair falls out.

• Posted

It was 6mg Zyprexa and 25mg Prozac, it was one pill with both combined. It's called Symbyax. After I stopped taking that then just started the Prozac she wanted me to try to take just 2mg of Zyprexa but I didn't and don't want too.
    • Posted

No wonder it made you sleep if you took that much. I only took 1.25mg in the hospital. Did it make you feel bad when you quit taking it?
    • Posted

No I felt fine when I stopped it, my doctor said the lowest dose it comes in is 2mg?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.