Can I take any other painkillers or sleeping tablets

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have had pains in fingers and risen to elbow, seen the dr, who examined me and said I have some nerve damage in my neck due to a fall in sept 2014, where I injured my shoulders. Have had one op already on my left shoulder, awaiting my appointment with orthopaedic surgeon at the end of May. My doctor has prescribed gabapentin, i have been taking gabapentin for 9 days started with 1 x 300 mg a day, and have been slowly increasing today I am on 2 x 3 times a day, have seen no improvement yet. My mouth and throat feel sore. Feel spaced out at times. Can I take any of my other tablets, zapain and amitryptiain

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Miss jeep ~~ Sorry you are having such a rough time and that the gabapentin isn't helping. Since it is the weekend,   I would suggest that you call your pharmacist and ask him about taking other medication, along with the gabapentin.  Otherwise, ask your doctor.  However, I would be very reluctant to take any pain medication, especially since you are experiencing side effects from the gabapentin.  I did experience the 'spaced out' feeling the first few days that I started on the gabapentin, but my body adjusted.  I am quite sensitive to medication.  I hope you can find some relief.
  • Posted

Am now taking 3x 100mg 3 times a day, since taking gabapentin I have found very little relief to the pain in my elbow and hand, just wanted to ask since taking them nearly four weeks, I have servers back ache in the morning, and have trouble getting out of bed, is this a normal side effect, I had suffered with back ache for along time and it went away all on its own, now it has reacurred more painful than I ever remember. Also has anyone suffered a swollen stomach, I was size 12 and now can only just fit into size 14 trousers for work. And on that note I must go to work
    • Posted

Should read 3x300mg 3 times a day
    • Posted

I would ask your pharmacist first. Just phone them
  • Posted

I too, did not get any benefit from a dose of 400mg three times a day. I started to wean myself off, and then a different Dr. told me he wanted me back onit. He prescribed 800mg 3 times a day. I weened it on slow as I had felt spaced out and even initially poor balance. Most of my arm tingling has gone. I am able to do things I haven't done in years. I feel, I have only normal pain or discomfort after a day of working in the garden. I am still careful, but I am doing more and more every day. Go slow, don't give up yet, If you feel spaced out on an increased dose, just wait longer until you have adjusted and then wean up. If you are prescribed 3 times a day, try not to miss that middle dose. I know, because I often missed my middle dose. I work very hard not to miss that dose and it helps. You may not get any pain relief at this dosage. I didn;t until it was increased.

• Posted

I asked my doctor when she prescribed mine, because I was on Norco for pain, xanax for anxiety and Tizanadine to help me sleep.  She did not say to stop any of them.  I have found after 4 days on Gabapentin that I have had no nerve pain today until tonight (time to take my dose) and haven't taken any pain meds today except for some ibuprofen for the headache that I am told is common when you first start taking this.  I didn't do this intentionally, I just don't take the pain meds unless I feel pain.  I can say however, that upping the dose too quickly was a mistake.  She didn't really tell me how long to wait to up the dose from one to two to three.  I took one for two days, then two at bedtime for two days.  Big mistake, because I have been feeling very weird in the am for about half the day, along with the headache.  So I am only going to take one tonight.  I am amazed that it has helped my nerve pain in my arms, though!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.