My mom started taking gabapentin like yesterday she is hallucinating

Posted , 6 users are following.

She is asking me about people I dont even know help me what do I do she is acting really weird should she stop taking it and she is getting really tired has not energy and she has not overdosed I looked up the syptoms and I don't think I saw that so what am I suppose to do......????

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Call the prescribing doctor immediately. They may have given her too high of a dose to start with or she may be having a reaction to it. How much did she take? How many doses has she taken?
  • Posted

The BMA  medical guidelines state that Gabapentin can cause hallucinations but the frequency of this occurring is unknown. The advice is always to return o GP and discuss 
  • Posted

Hi essica......i would call the dr immediately....This medicine may not be the best choice for your mom........yes it does make you very tired that is one of the side effects until your body get use to it......Good Luck...I hope your mom feels better.....Gabapentin is a dangerous med.....I was taking it since august 2015 and then started depokoe in september 2015  I am now down to 100 mg of gaba and 250 mg of depokoe once a day.......Depokoe is also a very dangerous drug which you you need to be weaned off of.....Calling dr tomorrow to see if i can bring down the depokoe again  been at 250 for a month   I hope i dont get any withdrawals....when I was on gabapentin every other day after four days I was so dizzy and headaches  WOW!!!  had to go back on 100 a day....I really need to get off this stuff..........
  • Posted

Hi Jessica, I've just seen your post. How is your mom doing now? When I first started taking them I experienced hallucinations and felt very detached and lightheaded, but not for too long.Then the symptoms wore off. If she decides to stop taking them it should be done slowly and not suddenly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.