Desperate to stop dizziness

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone I am exactly 1 week post op tomorrow after having laprascopic surgery to remove a cyst off my left ovary.

I am in no pain and sores are healing well but I am suffering servers dizziness.

I am ok whilst sitting down but when I'm up I feel unsteady and horrible.

I spoke to my nurse and she thinks it could be my body not metabolizing the anesthetic properly and that everyone

Heals different and it could last for weeks...

Please has anyone else experienced this I feel so alone a d need to get back to work, who think I should have been back days ago as its a minor op.

Please respond

Mia

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i was like this also for a month after surgery. when i get up, the room would spin and i feel like im about to lose balance. i think its normal, anesthesia maybe takes a little more time to get out of the system...mine was spinal anesthesia and of course some may travel to your brain and nervous system that can cause that uncomfortable side effects. You may not be your normal self for weeks or even months. Glad i was not alone then.
  • Posted

I was told it's a major op even though it's performed keyhole method as a rule nowdays. Surgeon said at least one month before I'm back to normal so I've had to take it easy. Your works cannot make you go back if you have a certificate from your doctor saying you are unfit for work! How can you work if you're having dizzy spells? It can take weeks to get the aneasthetic out of your system not to mention trauma to your body even if you don't have much pain! Just rest and go easy on yourself. Get another sick note from tour GP if you don't feel ready to go back yet. They won't refuse if you're feeling nauseous and dizzy still. One week is not enough! Best Wishes, Pollyanna UK rolleyes
  • Posted

A laparoscopy is no longer considered a minor surgery due to possible complications with anasthetic, it may be a minimally invasive procedure but you are still putting your body through a lot! Your work cannot expect you to go back one week after the procedure! Most surgeons will say at least 3 weeks until you can be classed as 'healed' and this can go up to 6 weeks as everyones body is different. 

Go back to your GP and explain your dizziness, he/she will write you another sick note no problem. 

I hope you feel better soon sad 

• Posted

Thanks for everyone's advice. I was having a few dizzy spells before op as well my doctor thinks I have servere panic disorder and anxiety. I have booked into see a psychologist I hope this will help me. Before my op I was so stressed I think the worst of everything and guess my body has had enough. If my doctors wrote this is not from the anesthetic at all? ? Opinions please or close experiances?
    • Posted

Oh hun, I also suffer from severe anxiety and an attack can definitely send me woozy! It does not matter what your doctor writes, he will most likely just put severe dizziness as a cause. Either way you cannot work. I hope your appointment with the psychologist helps ease your symptoms, cognitive behavioural therapy can work wonders! 
    • Posted

Yeah I really want to sort it its affecting my whole life. I get dizy almost every time I'm upright especially at work unsure if that's a trigger as it's such a stressful environment.
    • Posted

It could definitely be a trigger! I don't know if you're in the position to get an appointment with occupational health but I would certainly recommend it! They've helped me liase with work so I can do my job and also feel comfortable doing it without having to tell my boss too many details about my disorders. 
  • Posted

Hi Mia,

So sorry to read of your suffering, but glad the rest of your post op is going well. I might be stating the obvious here, but the dizziness upon rising is a classic symptom of low blood pressure. Have you had yours taken since you got home? Might be worth looking into if not. I've been asking my doc if I can lower my bp meds, and she said only if i'm showing signs that my pressure it too low - and she mentioned that symptom you've referred to.

Hope this helps in some way.

Smiles from Canada :o).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.