5 months of symptoms and no answers

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've not actually had an official diagnosis of IBS but GP suggests this is what I might have. It started in December with pain under my left rib, no tummy troubles but in January the pain switched to right sided pain. I have days of aches under right rib, near my appendix and in my lower right pelvis, some days the pain is def gas pains, others it's period type pain. I'm suffering off and on with constipation and after a heavier meal episodes of diarrhea, with the constipation I have episodes of quite bad muscous and wind. I'm also getting mild heartburn.

I have had a pelvic and abdominal ultrasound which were both clear and GP seems to think thats me done in terms of diagnostics. Over the past couple of weeks the abdominal pain has been waking me at night and I'm uncomfortable lying on either side. Does any of this sound like IBS or should I be insisting on more tests, endoscopy/colonoscopy. I think the GP is sick of seeing me! I'm female, 36 and otherwise in good health.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sounds like IBS and one thing I have noticed from here is IBS has no regard for age. I thought I was too young to have these things happen to me but then there are people here at school with the same problems. I can not imagine how horrible that must be. I had enough problems at school being a nerd.
  • Posted

Hi, I have had all of your symptoms. Started with cramps, told it was fecal loading (aka constipation) and now at the 8th month mark of this vile ongoing illness I now seem to have the classic alternating IBS symptoms. I'm 28 by the way and female. Yours does sound like IBS. I've tried most things and nothing has worked. Just trying to live hour to hour. It's horrendous and makes me very anxious. Hope we can all find something to alleviate our horrible symptoms. 
  • Posted

Your symptoms do sound like IBS especially with the bowel symptoms and the fact your pain moves about.  Wind, mucus, heartburn and disturbance after meals are also symptoms of IBS as well as it being sore to lie on at night. I think if your doctor has suggested IBS and he thinks you don't need any more tests, and they are all negative and he has not mentioned any other possible causes, you already have an official diagnosis.  If you are still unconvinced and worried, you could always ask for an endoscopy/colonoscopy if only for reassurance.  However, I think it may be better to accept IBS as a diagnosis, and you may find that your symptoms improve with getting answers and this will get rid of any worries you may have.  Anxiety makes IBS worse.

I had a three and a half month wait for an IBS diagnosis and eight visits to the GP. I saw a variety of doctors who did not recognise my symptoms. One openly told me that my symptoms were confusing and she hadn't got a clue..  I had constant stomach pain that moved about and changed in severity and type.  I had nausea and constipation which changed to loose stools as my panic increased. Stool tests, celiac screening and an ultrasound revealed nothing.  The pain woke me from sleep and was sore to lie on.

One doctor wanted to repeat my tests, another said since all the tests were negative, they would start looking at physical causes.  My final doctor said I didn't need any repeat tests since they were negative, my symptoms were no better but no worse and I had developed no new symptoms.  He diagnosed IBS.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies, this does make me feel a bit better. You hear all sorts of stories about GPs making diagnosis of IBS and it turning out to be something more sinister. What bothers me most is that it came out of the blue really and the constant pain, it's not horrendous pain which I had read seems to be the case with IBS but more there all the time in the background with sharper pain occasionally or the period type pain feeling, which most women are used to.
    • Posted

My pain came on out of the blue as well and like you the pain is always there in the background but it is rarely severe.  I get the sharp pain too along with deep grinding pain and sore to touch pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.