Stomach issues from Prednisone?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Mane people have posted regarding stomach problems from being on Prednisone specifically acid reflux, indigestion type issues. I am wondering if anyone has experienced other types of stomach problems like nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain across the upper intestine that they have correlated to long term steroid use. I have been dealing with symptoms like these for almost a month now. Have seen my GP and have had tests looking for blood or an intestinal parasite that were negative. Have switched to a different probiotic, stopped dairy, and added a fiber supplement to my daily regime. (I have been on Prednisone since July of 2015 currently taking 19 mg). Could these symptoms be steroid related? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been taking pantoprazole (a proton pump inhibitor) for GERD for over 10 years. I no longer have GERD, but I have been advised by my GI to continue on a low dose because of the prednisone issue. I have not had any stomach issues ecept when I've been off the pantoprazole for days.
    • Posted

I was pretty sure Prednisone could cause acid reflux I do have Omeprazole to take but when I started having the other symptoms I didn't feel it was helping with those.  Glad to hear the Pantoprazole resolves any stomach issues you have.  Prednisone has so many side effects at least there are some things that can be controlled!!
    • Posted

So Mphooey, how is it you've been on PPI's for 10 years and not have the back effects of PPI's?

Are you lucky?

I am small boned and now have osteoporosis and PPIs not good for calcium absorption. FYI?

Marla, I had silent acid reflux, though first 3 months of Pred I had bad chest pain but ignored it and doctors didn't care.

1 1/2 yrs later I'm on Rayos Pred which helped give some relief of AR, but also probiotics and started MSM flakes recently, having luck so far. And chew gum if feel it coming on, Pred causes dry mouth so that affects our stomachs and chewing gum causes saliva to help diagestion. And chew food well.

Also, taking calcium with foods and NOT with Pred. Divide your calcium in day, 500 at a time. 

Do you have diarrhea or loose stools? Magnesium can cause loose stools.  

Probiotics helped with that, refrigerated 12 billion active cells, pill form.

I'm just sharing what I didn't know pre PMR.

• Posted

Are you keeping any other meds you take away from the pred. For example Preds with food (very important) at breakfast anything else at Lunch or Supper?
    • Posted

Well I take the Prednisone first thing in the morning.  I used to take it even before eating but have tried to change that and have breakfast first.  Then maybe after an hour I take a couple other meds I have been on for a long time.  However since you have brought this up I think I will wait till lunch before taking other meds.  I was taking quite a few other supplements but stopped them all as I was suspiscious that maybe one of them was causing these stomach issues.  It hasn't really made a difference though.  I may go back to taking the Omeprazole twice and day and then as you suggest not take any other meds at breakfast except for the Pred. I appreciate the suggestion.  I've been trying whatever I can think of outside of what my GP suggested. 
  • Posted

I have similar stomach issues, and I consulted  a gastroenterologist.  He says I seem to be lactose intolerant and have gastritis.  He [prescribed Omeprazole to coat the stomach lining with the intake of prednisone and at times Advil which is a NO-NO.  I am advised to take Tylenol for pain as I am reducing from 7 1/2 mg to 7 within a 2 week period.

I have been on higher prednisone since Sept. 2014 because of the PMR diagnosis. 

• Posted

Tylenol is not known for helping with PMR pain, so you might as well skip it. If withdrawing from pred causes return of PMR symptoms, you aren't ready to reduce.  There may be pred withdrawal symptoms, which are very similar, but in that case the pain should be tolerable and clear within a few days.  

Reflux issues - I think it's important not to eat too soon before lying down to sleep.  Apparently foods like oatmeal, fresh vegetables (including fennel and celery), some fruits, parsley, moderate amounts of ginger, and so on, can be helpful for reflux.  I expect you already know about the lifestyle things, small but more frequent meals, and so forth. 

Is coated prednisone available where you live?

• Posted

I went off dairy at the suggestion of my GP.  She wants me to see a gastroenterologist as well if I don't improve.  Sheesh...just what I want to hear!
  • Posted

I stopped taking Pantoprazole, as I had reduced Prednisone to 3.5 and thought I no longer needed it the Pantoprazole. Alas, the stomach issues returned with a vengeance, and I am now taking 40 mgs, again, which seems to help.

I take meds right after eating breakfast.

• Posted

I am taking the Omeprazole again thinking perhaps I wasn't diligent enough with it.  All my symptoms started about a month ago and Ive taken Prednisone since last July with no stomach issues whatsoever. Do your stomach issues include nausea and pain?
  • Posted

Marla,

Gees, I could have written your post about myself.  I am experiencing the exact same symptoms, starting about 6 weeks ago.  I went to the GP, who suggested it's classic IBS.  I don't know why it flared up now (2 years into PMR, and now at 6.5 mg).  It's abated a little, but only after stopping all milk products and even fruit.

• Posted

Bob, So you are having the same fun as I am?  I have improved a little too but the nausea and stomach pain are a daily event. Always first thing in the morning and it's now back again and it's 12:15am!  My GP did not mention IBS. I thought of it but I suppose that's why she has told me to see a gastroenterologist if I don't improve. I also thought about what Eileen has posted to both you and I about possibly having developed another auto immune disease involving the gut and of course being checked for the dreaded "c " word.  I will do that eventually. If my stomach continues its outrage I'll have to do something! For now I'm trying the things I can to quiet it down. Hope you continue to improve😊
    • Posted

I am in exactly the same boat as you two Marla and Bob. Almost identcal problems and timing. My Dr thinks it is pred allergy - answer - get off pred with aid of another toxic drug - which also may cause gut problems.eek

​I  have tried all suggested hints on  Patient and Dr Google, changed diet, changed PPI's, elevated the bed etc......

​My throat is now in a bad way due to reflux - having gastroscapy this week.

​I am getting some help  from a  French Osteo who is currently studying gut prolems. I have had some improvement so am living in hope. Diahorea, gut pains, chest/shoulder pain due to endless gas/burping have all improved consideraby. Nausea and silent reflux remain.

​The course is about imbalance in the gut bacteria, sometimes due to the use of PPI's . Aparently there are many different probiotics, and it is important to get the right one for the problem. Of course it is not available in NZ, so he is currently trying to source it.

​Hopefully you can get some relief  - throat probs not good !

• Posted

You have my compassion! I do not have the acid reflux like you (that sounds awful to endure) at all but lots of other stomach issues. I am frustrated over it all right now. Try this, try that, eliminate this, eliminate that.... Then of course the other things that go along with PMR and long term Prednisone right along with it. I've made an appointment with a gastroenterologist in a couple weeks to research the possibility of another underlying problem. Then I guess I go from there. I had about decided to try Methotrezate at my Rheumy's suggestion so I could reduce my Prednisone Well that's squelched for now since it can cause stomach issues too. 😕 So such is life! I hope you can find some relief from that acid reflux. I'll try to remember to come back and post what I find out after my new appointment. Keep me posted how you are doing as well.
    • Posted

wink​ Thanks. My pains across upper intestine have not returned since Osteo treatment. Hope you find an answer - it keeps our minds active

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.