reflux and food

Posted , 6 users are following.

im trying to understand the link between diet and acid reflux.

Can anyone tell me is it the food you eat on the day or the day before that will affect your reflux please ?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

on the day generally. 

However, my body creates too much acid so if I don't eat I get severe reflux symptoms and its eating which helps because it gives the acid something to do. 

Then what you eat triggers it as well. So I can't take acific foods like oranges and fizzy drinks can be a problem 

• Posted

thank you for your reply, like you i get reflux when i need to eat and then when i have eated i get reflux sad
    • Posted

All those problems stopped when I started the PPI. I only get it now if I go a very long time without eating 
    • Posted

glad your problems stopped, i haven't ruled out trying another PPI, just want to try a month off. The doctor has prescribed lansoprazole 30mg which he says are more gentle on the stomach than pantoprazole ?
    • Posted

Why bother trying a month off. I take 30mg Lanzo and its a normal that higher dose. I would do that first and see if it works. You need to take it for 6-8 wks to confirm it is working. Then if that doesn't work take some time off. 

• Posted

my GP reccomended i take a week off between stopping pantoprazole and starting the lanzo.

I took panto for 15 weeks and feel i ended up with more symptoms than i started with so i guess i've lost a little faith in PPI's.

Does the Lanzo work for you ?

• Posted

Fatty, spicy, and foods high in acid along with chocolate and coffee are triggers along with the quantity of food you eat at once, everyone has different triggers so you would have to figure what foods trigger your acid reflux, my triggers are tomatoes, drinking more then a cup of coffee per day, eating more then half of a bar of chocolate, moreover, I control the amount of food I consume
    • Posted

Especially carbonated drinks and too much red wine
    • Posted

Me too, I love vintage Italian red wine, I used to enjoy a half of glass 4-5 times a week, now I have cut back to 2 glasses on Saturday nights. Red wine may not be a trigger for you, after you eat see how your body responds to it 30-60 later and make a mental note
    • Posted

thank you for your reply, still trying to work out my triggers. I know tomates set it off
  • Posted

For me its seems to be mainly the quantity and what I do after I eat. If I sit down on a sofa i have a problem (anything less than upright is a problem for at least 1 hr after a meal) and if i eat anything less than 3 or 4 hrs after I have had a meal I also have a problem. Going hungry also seems to be a trigger.  I seem to be less affected by what I eat or drink. So small portions and moving around after a meal helps me 
    • Posted

only enos fruit salt now and only when i get chest pains after i have eaten..i now find that gaviscon advanced doesnt really help (it used to )
    • Posted

thank you for your reply, moving around helps me generally although sometimes symptoms are eased if i rest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.