Brother

Posted , 4 users are following.

my brother is breaking down as we speak what can I do is there any numbers

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

so are you in UK or US or where are you?

• Posted

get him assessed by a psychiatrist and on medication if possible then see if he can be looked after by a family member.
  • Posted

It is so difficult helping a loved one going thru this.  I tend to isolate (which is the worst thing you can do,,,) when I am down and turn the ringer off on my phone.  I let my family know thru email that I will be out of touch because I am depressed and to please not take it personally.  Then they call my husband and he lovingly relays messages back and forth.  He continues to nurture me, suggest what he knows have worked in the past (therapy, ssri therapy...). Sometimes I go really far down and don't think I'll make it out, but I always have.  It has taken up to 6 months at times but each time, I learn some valuable lessons (as all parts of our lives are lessons so we can learn, grow, and give back) and am grateful for every good and not so good things that I have lived.  Am 61 now and happier than I have ever been.  Can't see me going thru another bad depression at this point but one never knows.  Laughter and gratitude help me the most and my husband and I tend to be a little dark in our humor (yes, I acquired that from my life experiences) and we have laughed about the most bizarre things.  Once, I was throwing up from a migraine, he was holding my hair back, my 2 cats and 2 dogs circling me and I can honestly hear them saying, " hey, mom is blowing chunks and some COULD land on the floor for us!".  How can you not laugh at that??  So, don't be afraid to try to make your brother laugh and give him gentle guidance and lots of love.  His mind won't want this but as long as he lets you in, that is a good thing.  He needs drugs and therapy and it is available literally everywhere.  There are free group sessions and shrinks who work on sliding scales.  Just be there and be extra kind to yourself.  It is easy to be swallowed whole by another's depression and misery.  Best to you😀
  • Posted

You can support him and love him, perhaps even go to the doc with him since the depression isn't going to give honest answers. You know how he was and how he is now.  You could be his advocate, which would benefit both of you.  Just take care and don't let his care become your life.  We cannot save a drowning person if we cannot swim.   So, be kind and loving to yourself, too, and draw on friends and family so you can have breaks to be you.  We must take care of ourselves before we can hope to help others.
  • Posted

So sad!! I'll pray for hiim.

Mate, Please contact with doctor and try to understand about the excact issues and causes.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.