Question for Occipital Neuralgia (ON) sufferers

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told by my neurologist that's what I have which is fine I have a lot of the symptoms (burning in head, ache, sharp pains, etc.) however I would like to know if anyone else experiences a metallic taste with theirs?

Or bitter taste? Hard to explain the taste exactly but I noticed I only get this taste when my ON acts up.

My right cheek also feels numbish when it comes along. I have a nerve test for neuropathy in a few weeks (to see which kind I have) and have had CT/MRI of brain which was clear so the taste may be related to the neuropathy but it just seems weird it comes when the ON comes.

Any guidance will help. Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes the docs can resect the nerve causing the pain or even use Botox!  I had it done over 15 years ago and while I still have occasional eye pain, for the most part, the intense pain is 95% better. 
  • Posted

My daughter suffered with severe ON some years ago, in her early 20s. Doctors wanted to prescribe very powerful meds but our research suggested that chiropracty might help and this was indeed the case. She ditched the meds and did not need surgery. Her chiropractic managed to realign whatever it was that was causing the problem over a few months and she is absolutely  fine now.

I was sceptical but have to admit that it worked.

• Posted

I'm in the same situation ,do you know what needed to be realigned? My Dr said its coming from my neck but my trapezius muscle is knotted and sore ..
  • Posted

This is what my daughter said when I emailed her after reading your post earlier.

"I often find a lot of people very anti-chiropractic.

It helped me because I have one leg a wee bit longer than the other (not by much, it's my left leg which is longer), which results in my hips being out of balance, and then everything eventually being unbalanced up my spine to my neck, which jams up/traps/irritates my nerve.  Sometimes I have had neuralgic pain in other places (once in my ear) and chiropractic has always been able to free up the nerve."

You would probably be unaware of a problem with your spine until this happened. Problems with trapesius? sounds spot on to me; your spine is obviosly compensating for problems further down and, when you think what a head weighs, it's not surprising we get problems with the tissues around the upper spinal nerves!

Hope this helps

Lesley

• Posted

Thanks ,and I noticed when I massage the traps muscles the head pain eases away until the next day I can feel that tingling nerve behind my right ear. Its getting annoying ,maybe I should just check out a chiro.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.