I started getting cluster headaches for two years

Posted , 2 users are following.

I began getting cluster headaches since I was 59. I've done a lot of research but nobody seems to have any real answers.  I did use oxygen at the very start of the last one and did manage to abort it but I understand that only works a small % of the time.  These clusters hit hours before I wake in the a.m., and drag on for 65-70 days.  The nausea is awful.  I also get migraines, runs in the DNA, during the cluster on the opposite side of my head.  Anyone have any helpful suggestions?  I sometimes feel like Edward Scissorhands live inside my skull.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my mum also suffers with cluster headaches and found that drinking a LOT of water throughout the day really helps to stop/ prevent them.

• Posted

Thanks.  I drinks lots of water because I have Sjögren's syndrome and make very little spit and my eyes are pitifully dry.  I am glad it worked for your mum.
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. The only other thing which helps with cluster headaches to my knowledge is the pure oxygen (but you need to catch it early) as headache pills don't seem to touch the pain. Hope you get some relief as I know they are the worst headaches ever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.