Ovarian cyst - hormone imbalance?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 I have never had regular periods I only have like 4/5 a year and have never seen a doctors out it. Recently I went to hospital with a severe sharp pain in my right side, turns out I had a ruptured ovarian cyst.

An ultrasound showed I have multiple cysts on both ovaries, it's 2 months later I haven't had a period (which is normal for me) but I've had the same pain in my right lower abdomen again twice now, a month apart. it is the same pain as the ruptured cyst but not as severe and not lasting as long.

I'm just wandering what I should do, could this be due to a hormone imbalance which causes me to not have periods? Or has anyone had anything similar?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Danni. It's most likely the cysts which are causing your problems including infrequent periods. They can also cause hormonal changes I believe in some people. As you're only 17, the likelyhood is that you have dermoid cysts which are fairly common in young women. My grandaughter had one removed when she was in her early twenties. If you look up Dermoid cysts or Teratoma, type these names in the browser at the top right of this page where it says Search Patient and a question mark. You find all the info you need there. i'm sure others will come on and talk to you too, maybe tomorrow as it's late now here in UK. Best Wishes, Pollyanna UK 

• Posted

They could also be functional cysts, which is when an egg starts to form but doesn't fertilize and sometimes turns into a cyst. Look up ovarian cysts in same way as Dermoid/teratoma cysts. rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about the issues you've been having that really sucks. I'm 21 and like yourself i've never had regular periods ranging from 1-4 a year. I've only recently went to my gp to get it checked out and they think it's likely cysts on my overies (not officially diagnosed). I'd personally recommend going to your dr and asking for the contraceptive pill, i've been put on it because it helps regulate bleeding and apparently the cramping/pain that i get(still waiting for this to kick in). Your doctor can also test your blood to check if it's hormonal causes, i think that's the first port of call that drs check or at least it has been in my experience but you should mention it to a doctor, even just for a bit of peace of mind! (: 
    • Posted

Okay I'll get it checked by the doctor, thanks for your help!
  • Posted

Babe, get yourself to the doctors and demand help, referral, treatment! Ask to see a different GP @ your surgery & tell them "I have multiple borderline ovarian tumours on both ovaries. I'm 17yrs old & I'm in severe pain! I want an IMEDIATE REFERRAL to a gynaecological consultant @ my nearest hospital ASAP!" I've been there & come out the other side but you can't wait  or expect someone else to make you & your problem important! Go & demand & insist! It's your body, your health, your life! im here for you babe, ask anything you want, you're not alone! X
  • Posted

Hi hun, 

I had a large dermoid cyst on my left ovary which had apparently been there for years. I never had regular periods, and for the last year i've only had one which lasted 4 days. It could be the cysts are stopping your periods as it did mine. I would definitely go back to your GP and demand a gyne referral. I'm only 20 and I had my cyst removed 3 weeks ago today via laparotomy. It can be worrying when you're young with random periods, but your doctors are there to help you! My gyne told me that my cyst had become so large that it stopped all my periods! 

I hope you get sorted soon sweetie x

• Posted

Hi Jadeybug,

May you tell me more about your condition? I am currently having a heterogeneous mixed solid cystic which have a size of 18.0x20.1x10.1cm. Got this result via my ultrasound report. Actually I am quite worried about what kind of cyst it actually will be but the doctor didn't tell me anything but just told me to go for a CT scan. My period also stopped for quite a couple of months as well no other symptom other than bloating lower abdomen.

• Posted

Hi Jadeybug,

May you tell me more about your condition? I am currently having a heterogeneous mixed solid cystic which have a size of 18.0x20.1x10.1cm. Got this result via my ultrasound report. Actually I am quite worried about what kind of cyst it actually will be but the doctor didn't tell me anything but just told me to go for a CT scan. My period also stopped for quite a couple of months as well no other symptom other than bloating lower abdomen.

• Posted

Hi Jo, 

I had a 12cm x 8cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. On my ultrasound they said it was a simple fluid cyst, however when they started the laparoscopy they found it was completely solid! Try not to worry too much about it as there are many different solid cysts. I didn't go for a CT scan, but I demanded a gyne referral to have it removed. My abdomen was so bloated I was constanty being asked if I was pregnant! I had excruciating pain which would stop me from working too. A lot of the time doctors will not see a cyst as problematic unless it is causing pain. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Because I am not very sure what is going to happen since I did not experience any pain but my Gynae actually say that it's quite urgent.
    • Posted

They will most likely opt for removal, the general rule is if it's bigger than 6cm they will take it out and then test it to make sure there's nothing nasty in there. In my case it had hair and teeth! 
    • Posted

I shall hope that mine will be the same as yours!! ^^ thanks hehe
    • Posted

Hope you're doing okay now! Thank you for your advice x
    • Posted

I'm getting there thank you lovey! No problem i'm always happy to help where I can smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.