Severe bowel problems - possible IBD?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been severely ill now for over a month and at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I've recently been having chronic pain under my left rib and in my lower abdomen, along with diareha - at its worst up to 12 times a day with blood and mucus. Sometimes I don't even pass stool but just clots of dark brown blood and mucus. The smell is really embarressing but smells like infection if I'm being honest.

I went to the Gdocs who checked out my anus for piles etc but said it was fine. I actually needed the toilet whilst I was there and from the amount of blood she suspected an IBD. She referred me for an appointment at the gastrology department. 2weeeks later at the appointment they decided to give me a full colonoscopy but have to wait up to 5 weeks to get it. I'm worried as my symptoms are getting worse and the amount of clots has increased. It's also effecting my personal life as I'm struggling to eat anything apart from roasted veg and breads, I am sleeping up to 10 hours at nights because I'm so lathargic with no energy through the day and I've lost almost a stone in a month and I'm getting worried.

I keep trying to eat and drink to avoid malnutrition but it's really hard to eat much things that don't upset it. It seems that my symptoms are getting worse and because I'm run down I've got about 4 ulcers in my mouth.

Should I just wait for my appointment or should I go to hospital? And has anyone had an IBD with these symptoms? I can't deal with much more.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly, I've went/going through something very similar. First of all have you had a stool sample taken to find out if you have any infection present?

Back in sept 2015 I fell ill like you, Dr's put it down to a bug but I had never experienced anything like it. I had diarrhoea up to 25 times per day, at times like you said only producing mucous and blood. I was vomiting and had a fever of 39°c to begin with. I kept going to my gp and they kept sending me home telling me to rest and it would pass on its own. This just went real bad real quick, I was only managing 3ish hours per night bc I was up so often, I ended severely dehydrated and fainted. By this point 7 weeks had passed, I lost over a stone in weight. I woke up in hospital and they had said they were keeping me in over night, luckily they did as that was the worst it got. My fever rose to 41°c and my kidneys started shutting down. They finally got bloods and stool samples back and it showed positive for clostridium difficile. I was put on vancomycin for 3 weeks then let out of hospital. Cdiff stools have a very nasty smell, before my bloods came back the nurse told me straight away that's what I had. I relapsed again in January 2016 and was put back on flagyl for another 2 weeks then discharged.

I wouldn't go to the hospital unless you have had a stool sample, they'll just tell you to go to your Dr first thing and order blood results however, if you are getting any severe abdominal pain that comes on all of a sudden or you're not retaining enough fluids I'd phone up out of hours to seek advise. (111 if you're in the UK).

It's good that they're seeing to your investigations fairly quickly, try not to worry too much about it as it'll only make you more anxious (I know this is easier said than done). Instead, try look at it being something to better understand what you're going through and to get you a step closer to relieving yourself of these symptoms.

Have you been on any antibiotics recently? The reason I ask is that's how I got the infection in the first place. I had been on antibiotics pretty much continuously for 4 months, however one course is enough to cause cdiff toxins to take over your gut.

Antibiotics work in a way to kill off bacteria, however that means good and bad. If too many "good" bacteria are killed off, it means they can no longer keep the bad in check, meaning they can overpopulate and cause problems.

It took me a long time to get where I am, but this is what helped me:

My Dr prescribed me codeine phosphate, one of its main side effects is constipation so it relieves me of so many toilet trips. I take just enough to avoid being overly constipated. Plus of course it's pain relief so helps with the abdominal pains. However, this won't be prescribed until they can completely rule out infection etc, diarrhoea is your body's way of trying to rid itself of harm, if you try stopping it with anti diarrhoeal tablets then it can cause more complications, so speak to your Dr. This has changed my life, it's made me able to live a normal life again, I still have the odd problems now and again but I can totally deal with it.

I go for baths every night, it helps me ease my stomach pains and get rested for bed. Using lavender oil is a must for me.

This didn't work personally for me, but I know a few people that swear by probiotics, there isn't any harm in trying it out.

Hot water bottle!!

Exercises, this part is maybe not for right now, but if you're able to then great. As my treatment started to work I was still feeling really lethargic and low, but I started doing yoga. At first I didn't enjoy it and it my stomach still bothered me a lot but in time I learnt how to switch off and no focus on my symptoms as much. You really need to preserve and trust me I struggled, but it really paid off.

I'm still under investigation, I have inflammation in my colon but they're not sure if it's inflamed due to the infection or if it's ibd, so I'm in the same boat as you. It's nerve racking but at least it's leading towards a solution. Sorry for the long post I just really know what you're going through and if someone told me about codeine phosphate 3-4 months ago I wouldn't have had to go through such an awful time. Keep me updated with how you're getting on x

• Posted

As a former nurse i think you need to have this procedure done more quickly and you should see your Doctor, you will get dehydrated as the weather warms up for summer. You are clearly not well and this should not wait for weeks and weeks.
  • Posted

You need to be checked for UC. Symptoms might match, contact hospital and ask for cancellation, good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.