IBS (terminal ileum pseudosacculation)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

24yr old female. I have been suffering of or 12 months with abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, severe constipation to the point where I did not have a Bowel movement for 6 weeks and I have only just started going naturally. I recent had a colonoscopy which was clear so it's not IBD at the moment. I had a barium follow through meal X-ray in April and I got my results today. It says that there are abnormalities 5cms long in my small bowel terminal ileum. My doctors have said it is looking to be more of a severe form of IBS. I did start off with 3 months of constant watery stools but now they are did full to pass and have been since January.

Is there anyone that could help me or point me in the right direction as to whether or not you can lose weight with this... I have tried everything and I just maintain weight even when I was on slimming world I just cannot seem to lose a pound like I use to be able to. I have tried mabeverin, buscapan, colofac, clean eating, high fat foods, high fibre foods. I look like I am about to give birth to twins with how swollen my tummy goes. Out of experience what do people try to avoid when eating healthy and what do people try to eat. I know everyone is different but the only think that doesn't effect me with pain is Chicken nuggets or ice pops but I can't live on them realistically! I need to lose weight but I have been told by several people that inflammation of the Bowel lining and IBS and being b12 deficient is going to be impossible and I can't look the way I am.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Try the Fodmap diet with the help of a dietician.  It may help to identify any food triggers.  It may also help to avoid fatty, gassy, and spicy foods which can be culprits.  Gassy foods tend to be cabbage and Brussel sprouts.  Fructose, lactose and gluten can also be triggers. Food does not affect my IBS, but these are known to be common irritants in some people.  Also alternate your intake of fibre to more when you are constipated and less if you are having diarrhoea.

You could also have an ultrasound to check for cysts in your ovaries and also ask to have your thyroid checked if you are struggling to lose weight.

• Posted

Hi banks for replying. I have have small cysts on one of my overies but they are not doing anything about it as they are too small. All my bloods are clear well except my liver function tests which always comes back raised and I am not a drinker. I was told about fodmap last night when I went to my dr and he gave me some information. I will see if they do a dietitian referral for me to help. It's hard as the dr has said to me that it's a certain type of IBS which only 1in 1000 people get which has effected my small Bowel (trust me to have it) he said he has it too and he said eat the foods I like and I know I don't suffer from. But if I done that it wouldn't be healthy eating. I'll ask to see a dietitian see how they can help
    • Posted

I agree with Philippa , the Low FODMAP diet might be worth a try. There are loads of we sites that give info about it. So called "healthy eating" - loads of fibre, fruit and veg - is not necessarily healthy for people with IBS. Processed foods ( ready made) can also cause problems. Good luck with getting a referral to a dietician. 

Jan

• Posted

If the cysts are small, hopefully they will go away on their own.  Sorry to hear you have an unusual form of IBS.
    • Posted

They've been there for a year and have barely grown since my first scan so we know that's not causing the pains. Dr appointment again tomorrow to discuss options with me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.