Can a Paraoesophageal hernia come undone in 2 years?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a paraoesophageal hernia repair 1998. I now am  having horrible heartburn and severe bloating, It's the first time I've had heartburn since the surgery (I take Prilosec every day). I told my gastro doctor and he said he doubted it has come undone because he did an endoscopy 2 years ago and it looked fine. Discussion over. Can it come undone in 2 years? Should I seek a second opinion?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Heck yes seek a second opinion!! You know what your body is telling you. Regardless of what he says demand getting another endoscopy!!! These doctors should be ashamed of themselves the way they blow us off!!! They have too many patients and have gotten extremely lazy. They need to go back to school and regroup and study NEW information out there regarding hernia's!!!! There are too many of us who are suffering with this hernia situation and need answers. It is not in our heads!!!
  • Posted

I would see another doctor. I think it can come undone at anytime. I pray it hasn't. I did read one could have heart burn even just after surgery .

I pray you find the answer.

• Posted

I had this surgery done in November 2014. I would say seek a second opinion. Another endoscopy will tell what is happening. 

Judy

• Posted

It can absolutely come undone!  You need to have a barium swallow study or an egd to determine.   I had my first fundoplication and repair of hiatal hernia in 2010.   It came "undone" in only 8 months.  I had reoperation in 2011 that only last one year.  Reoperation again in 2012.   This failed also.  I had  a gastrectomy which removed 90% of my stomach in January.  The defect in my diaphragm is so large now that surgeon was unable to repair.  I have had two obstructions requiring surgery since January.  I was sent to mayo clinic and will go back next week for surgery on my diaphragm.  The hernia I have is now the size of a grapefruit.  I have had biological mesh as well as synthetic mesh used in the past.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.