Type of anaesthetic

Posted , 10 users are following.

Two problems needing help please:

I sometimes have pain down the whole of my leg, especially the outside below the knee. Is there any way of knowing if this is due to the hip or back, as both are dodgy?

I am due for a hip replacement on 9 June and the bit I have been scared stiff of is getting in the skin to start it. I felt I could only cope with a general anaesthetic but could not persuade him to give me anything other than a local. Please can anyone help?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Herbo

I had nerve pain in the buttock, back of knee and outside of leg below the knee and have since had a total hip replacement (nearly 14 weeks ago).  I still have the pain on the outside of the leg above the ankle, not as often, and doesn't last for very long and tends to occur if I do too much or move my leg out to the side.  I still have some swelling from my ankle to hip so hoping the pain is associated with the internal swelling.  Saying that I do have issues with my back: OA, bulginging discs, curvature, but as the nerve pain has decreased from down the leg to above the ankle only, I am hopeful that the pain was from the hip.

The surgeon who performed the operation only uses general anaesthetics, so I had no choice.

• Posted

Hi Herbo, 

Not sure how to answer your first question ... You are scheduled to have THR on June 9, so I am assuming that your hip is bad redface - 

What is your diagnosis ?    

Interesting ... I know that local, epidural etc. is preferred however I was free to choose and preferred general and got it, twice ...

I don't think anybody can do something against your will ...

please have a look at 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147, scroll down to 

the web site created by one of our members, Graham, aka Rocketman - you will find a chapter explaining the difference between them ...

Welcome to this forum - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Herbo, I was a bit anxious over having the spinal, in my case I honestly only felt the slightest tiniest little push in my back so no problem there, the 2nd attempt found the spot but there was no pain.  I just started to feel a warmth working down my buttocks into my legs, then I was given the 'magic milk' in my canula to make me drousy which in fact knocked me completely out and I woke up in recovery all done. Think the latter depends who, what, where you go for your op.  So all in all would highly recommend this method I had no after effects at all, the bonus is the hip area stayed numb for at least 24 hours after so no pain either (someone else may say something different), I was up and walking the next morning - well taking 3" steps -  as I was scared...

I do have bulging discs and was worried I wouldn't be able to have the spinal but this wasn't an issue for the anethasist.  After about 4 weeks my back start to readjust to new posture and still is 7 weeks on but is getting better - not disc pain, just across the bottom of the back, I am sure this is due just to bad posture pre op to deal with the pain.  Hope this brings you some reassurance it really was a breeze for me and so glad all the worry came to nothing.  This is my experience and others may have had a different experience.

• Posted

You need a general anaesthetic if you are worried and you need to meet and discuss your concerns with ananesatist well before op
  • Posted

Hi Herbo, 

The pain could be many things but many of us have problems with our IT band which runs from the hip down on the outside of the leg to just past the knee. When pain restricts our movements and activity levels for extended periods, it is not unusal for this band of connective tissue to tighten up get very very painful. Check this out with your PT as it can be resolved fairly easily but needs concerted effort with some simple exercises (a quick Google will identify plenty as well). 

Good luck with your operation - don't sweat it. It will be over before you  know it and a chat with your anaesthetist will help - s/he can give you something to calm you and I think conscious sedation is used quite commonly now. If so, you won't remember a thing.

A THR is a big operation but it gets rid of the bone-on-bone pain right away although the pain from the operation and tissues affected by it will 'complain' in various ways after. This period is not fun but soon over and one can usually see progress gained each day - even when it is miniscule. Just be committed to the exercise/activity routine recommended by your surgeonand PT and a good high-protein diet post-surgery and that will help immensely. A physician friends also suggested protein shakes or meal supplements (Ensure, etc) if you don't have a good appetite. And ... lots of water and enriched fluids to keep your electolytes in balance.

Good luck with everything and don't be shy to come back for a chat if you need 'company' or advice. This forum is supper at that as our membership crosses several continents, so someone is usually on-line.  

L

• Posted

You can have sedation with a spinal (local anaesthetic), so you won't know a thing.

I opted for no sedation, and was wondering when the surgeon would 'get going', when I heard him say "so that's his hip dislocated now" - he had not only opened up my leg, but had managed to dislocate the joint without me feeling a thing.

Just ask for maximum sedation, you'll be fine.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Thank you- this helps. I must get round to accepting the part which my thoughts are scared of, or I have to start all over again at a hospital which would let me have a GA

• Posted

Spinal with a max sedation is much the same as a full GA, but with less risks to you the patient.
    • Posted

Thank you again. I think I have made the decission to go ahead.

​9th June it is!

• Posted

Good for you - we'll all be here to help you with any questions or problems you may have.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Herb 

its hard to say re the pain and you probably wont know till you heal from your hip op to be honest. 

The spinal/ epidural involves momentary discomfort - honest. I opted for being 'proper unconcious' as well by choice , but i know a large number of people who had light sedation and had no memory of the op - im a nurse and used to work in orthopaedics so have seen the op being done on people - usually very drowsy and mumbling away to the anaethetist about their holidays so please dont worry - you certainly wont feel them cutting your skin if that is what is worrying you . Do have a chat with your anaethetist before the op and they will do their best to reassure you , I promise - they want it to be a positive experience as well as a safe one for you. Big hug xxx

• Posted

Thank you Bini. Thank you for helping me by what you have written- you are right about what I find so hard to contemplate. I really must grit my teeth and go along with the way they will do it, as otherwise I have to start the process again at a hospital which would let me choose. So think of me on and before 9th June! All the best to you in your health and work.
  • Posted

Hello,

i am recovering from thr two weeks ago.

i was disturbed to think about a spinal and sedation method as I have only had general before with no problems.

i opted for a general even though I was told it would hurt more afterwards.

they were correct......in recovery I had much pain, much morphine and was

subsequently very sick afterwards.

all the other patients in the ward had the spinal to numb below the waist and a full sedation to get completely knocked out and had no problems whatsoever, recovered their senses immediately with less pain. 

On reflection I know which one I will choose for the other leg! Hope this helps.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.