Feels like something stuck in throat, can see a lump?

Posted , 5 users are following.

19 year old female, non smoker. 

For the past two or three days, I've had this on and off feeling of something being stuck in the back of my throat on the right side, almost immediately behind my tongue.. I don't know how else to describe it other than kind of when you eat really really dry cake and it gives you a weird feeling in the back of your throat and you just HAVE to drink something to get that sensation to go away. Well, the sensation has been bothering me enough that I finally decided to take a look in the mirror to see if I could see anything. Turns out, there's a little swollen "something" just on the right side. It almost looks like a tonsil or something (I don't have mine), and the back right side of my tongue has bumps on it. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had this problem, I can't find anything on Google or anything like that, and I don't want to go to the doctor, that's kind of my last resort!

Thank you all in advance!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kristin,

Sorry to hear your experiencing this problem. Globus sensation is the feeling of something stuck in your throat when in fact there is nothing there at all. Your symptoms sound like something different and my advice for what its worth is to get it checked out as soon as possible. Which I know is easier said than done. I suffer with health anxiety so it took me a while to make an appointment. Good luck x

• Posted

I ended up going to the doctor today after getting an opinion from my uncle who is a paramedic. He thought it was an abcess and urged me to get it looked at. 

My doctor had no clue what it was! He started to say is was something that started with an L- Tonsilitis, but I have no tonsils? And he also thinks it could be my thyroid. He drew labs and wants me to get an ultrasound on my throat, where another lump sticks out. I will post again with the results on monday! Hopefully it's nothing too serious requiring an ENT doctor.

• Posted

Probably you have an acid reflux or gerd that causes globus sensation. And also stress, too. You have to go to the doctor because you don't know if its a cancer or not. Don't be afraid. Don't you wanna find the answer.
    • Posted

I went to the doctor today, he thinks it could be thyroid. Ordered blood work and an ultrasound on my throat.
  • Posted

KkRISTIN   iM SJROGENS  AND FIBROMYALGIA

i GET TIGHT THROAT  ALMOST EVERY DAY.i HAVE TO TA RELAXER. i ALSO HAVE GARITIS AND yhis with gerd...it is not fun i panic,,Do you have auto immune diseasee????

• Posted

No, I don't have an auto immune disease. This all came out of nowhere!
  • Posted

Ok, good!  He would give you a sonogram for thyroid.    Keep us posted to see how it goes.

Thanks.

• Posted

My blood results for my thyroid came back good! Just waiting on ultrasound results-- which I should be getting later on today, or tomorrow! I will keep you updated.

• Posted

That's good news.  Just keep us posted again when you go back to the doctor again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.