does anyone have pain after swallowing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Having problems with osphagus at mo. Worried it's cancer. Does anyone have pain / discomfort after swallowing?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had a small infection due to my GERD in my the upper right side of my throat which is normal for people suffering with GERD but you need to get Amoxicillin and take every 12hrs for 10 days and it will go away, I'm almost done with mines and now I'm feeling much better, you must take it as describe or Amoxicillin may not work, this happen to me the first time, if it's a success you don't have anything to worry about but I will go get your esophagus tested, I'm going to get my tested in June, good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for reply . Are you on any omeprazole or any other ppi? If so did u take it same time as antibiotics?Emma
  • Posted

I had severe pain behind my breastbone which started approx 5minutes after eating. This was accompanied by my heart beating as if it was going to burst out my chest . The only way I could get rid of the pain was to make my self sick ..this could last for 30 mins to 5 hours before subsiding.. after tests it was diagnosed as a large hiatus hernia ..the doc that did my barium meal showed me on his screen how large the hernia was..it was also causing the stomach to rotate . After my op the problem has gone. Early days though..4 weeks...but I have just had a delicious prawn salad with no after effects at all.. get it checked out ASAP...
    • Posted

Hi yes i'm waiting for an endoscopy. My pain is seconds after swallowing. Lots of people on these forums believe it's to do with what you eat so maybe i've eaten something wrong! Thanks for reply emma
    • Posted

Hi, I thought it might be because I had taken up drinking whisky.. Surgeon just laughed at me.. he told me pain was due to the esophagus going into a spasm because it was struggling to move food down into stomach ..seemingly my hernia was also pressing on the major nerves in that area that connect to the heart etc. Hence the palpitations and pain. He gave me a good few reasons for this .. hernia, inflammation of osephagus ,ulcers etc. He did mention a slight possibility of cancer but it seemed like it was well down the list. Good luck with your tests.. my colleague has just been for an endoscopy this week. She fell asleep and didn't know it had already been done. She had slight inflammation and they have upped her dose of omeprazole.. regards Alistair..
    • Posted

Your reply was interesting as I have also recently been told I have an irregular heartbeat & have to go see a cardiologist. I now think maybe it's all connected. Are you on ppi now? Emma
    • Posted

Hi, it was a strange feeling as soon as I ate something my heart would start"pumping hard" ..since op no problem at all .. I'm back onto 20 mg omeprazole but once I have been back to see surgeon I am going to try a few days off it to see if it has cured my heartburn as well as the chest pain .
  • Posted

Hi there .yes I have barrets osphagus .I have constant trouble with throat always red and sore .and hurts when swallow food always gets stuck .and feel like got a lump in back of throat. I take 40 mg of omeprazole .but still have problems. Although when I eat clean foods I'm not as bad .but if have something fatty or un healthy I suffer bad with chest and throat.

Have you got a camera booked to see what's going on .I'm sure you will be fine .one of the best things in all our cases Is try to be positive as hard as it is. As I am worried all the time about getting cancer .

Hope all goes well good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply dean

I am waiting for appointment to come through for endoscopy but my nerves are dreadful with worry . I am seriously thinking of going private just for some answers but it's alot money!

Because of barretts do u have to have more endoscopys ? Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma

I no its hard to deal with it all

It is worrying .but positive .I am sure you will be OK. I have had barrets for 5 years now .I'm 29 .I'm have a camera every 2 years . To be honest I have alot of problems and worry myself .as my grandad had got osaphagus cancer .but doesn't mean we all will .I think you will be fine just keep your diet clean .drink plenty of water .stay away from fatty foods. Alcohol .limit it to a small amount if not any. No smoking.satya away from citrus foods. Proper your head up 6 inch at night when in bed. I also have gaviscon before and after meals now to try limit heartburn .do you have barrets and is this your first camera .

• Posted

hi i am suffering from a very bad time of my life i have severe problem i always feel heavy in my chest and burps alot and beside that i have problem of ibs-----it ruined my life today i visit to the doctor and we discuss about that doctor is worried about my heart but i tell him i do echo before and 5+ time ecgs but he run ecg for me and he say its normalhe already tell me i have gerd but i personally request him for endoscopy though i didnot feel pain some time like 2 or 1 time i have sever burps may be its bcoz of my gall bladder i have take out in 2010-----i do booking for endoscopy let see what happened next month 18-------what ever it is i can face it but like that burping i can,t live with it for my all life--my suggestion for you is to for endoscopy request your doctor for endoscopy google will make you mind worse and make you crazy----we are facing the problem and we have to figure it out we have to face it ----- doctor will give me nexium 20 mg 1 tablet mosapridecitrate 5mg three tablets a day-----let see what happened next month i have endoscopy 
  • Posted

Had gerd for 2 1/2 yrs but never had pain swallowing. My mum has Achalasia which is where the oesphagus does not push the food down properly. The test for this is a mamometry test. They put a tube up your nose and down your throat to test if the LES muscle is working properly. I had that plus a ph study. Mine came back ok.

Have you had any tests done? Im sure its not cancer. It may be scar tissue if you suffer from GERD. Do you have silent reflux?

Hope u find the answer soon.

Dominique

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.