Fibromyalgia symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Fibro last year and recently started on gabapentin. I don't know if this is going to help or not as I'm not titrated to the optimal treatment dose yet. What I would like to know is, are there any sufferers out there who feel like their body is turning 'solid'? I don't how else to describe it. Movement is so arduous and I'm rapidly putting on weight. Is this a Fibro symptom along with the paid? Any positive feedback welcome smile 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

You should ask your doc about that. Gabapentin caused depression for me
    • Posted

Hi Iris, yes ideally I need to have a thorough examination but it would be at least a couple of weeks before I can see her. I just wondered if anyone else experienced this heaviness. I had it before I started taking gabapentin. I also suffer with depression but I had that before taking the meds too. I exercise every day but it doesn't help. Thanks for your reply though.
  • Posted

Why don't you dial 111......it's an NHS service
    • Posted

I've already seen a consultant. He suggested I try gabapentin first and see how I got on then if that didn't help I could try pregabalin. I just wondered if there was anybody out there will similar symptoms.
  • Posted

I take Gaberpentin for nerve pain and unfortunately weight gain as been an issue for me. 
  • Posted

Watch the weight! I gained 10 pounds post gastric bypass and continued to have the blood pressure climb. I have fibromyalgia too. The thing that helps mine the most is exercise in water aerobics in a heated pool. Gabapentin for short term last year around a nerve block did not cause a problem in a low dosage.
    • Posted

Hi Betty, did it help with the pain? I still have very painful feet at 300mg twice a day. I'm not sure if it's worth continuing to up the dose to 1800mg if i'm just going to turn into a depressed zombie of epic proportions.
    • Posted

Well, no it never helped with the fibromyalgia pain. I have had 3 bones fused I my left foot and my right one curls up during the night causing extreme pain. Don't let them increase the dose. I have had mine up to 2400 then when the prescriber knew of the heart and bladder problems it caused just reduced it to 1800. In my case it took the cardiologist to make the decision. Disgusted with doctors that don't care! Be careful! My physical therapist said the best thing for fibromyalgia is water aerobics in a heated pool. Low impact only. That does work.
    • Posted

Hi Betty, thank you for your advice. I've now decided to taper off slowly and put up with the pain. I have stabbing pains in the chest when I breath in sharply and other weird symptoms and I don't think my gp has a clue what I'm taking or has any intention of monitoring me whilst I'm taking them. I'd love to do the water aerobics but our pool is freezing!! My worst pain is in my feet - I wonder if a foot spa would help?
  • Posted

Hi jennifer 02908.

I have been Fibro for years now and been taking Amitriptyline from day one.

Now I suffer from back pain and now my GP took me of the Amitr.and put me on the Gabapentin Act Caps 300mg just 1 a day at night like the Amitr.

So far I am fine, the Amitr. was oke just the 25mg but there is an stronger one 50mg.

So far I am fine, but soon they find out abouith the back I will ask for to be put back on the Amitr.

• Posted

Hi Maaike, yes i too have back problems, lower and upper. I take amitrip but it only helps with the upper back/neck pain. The gabapentin didnt seem to help with anything and the side effects were worrying. My gp wanted me to titrate up to 1800mg a day. That seemed like a huge amount. Anyway i've decided to slowly come off them and just stick with paracetemol and codeine which helps a little but nothing so far has helped with the pain in my feet.
  • Posted

Hi jennifer.

I do use codemol 30/500 for the nigth with one capsule, day time I use codine phosphate 30mg 2x a day.

In Holland I bacame a member off the Fibro and learn how to cope with the pain and the body.

What was a great help how to cope with Fibro.

Went swimming 2x a week with a fysio, but here in Engl is nothing, what is a shame realy, I do miss it, but Engl is my home so now husband is retired,there is no more more weekley swimming.

Here I do a lot off walking 2 a day.

Bad day's shorter walk good day's a longer walk, with the dog and husband.

Mby there migth be something in the aria or ask to go to a pain clinic, the migth help how to cope with the pain, it is a try.

• Posted

Hi Maaike, i have been to the pain clinic. they recommended gabapentin and exercise plus the medication that i'm already taking. I work full time and care for my grandson at the weekends so i am quite active. i don't think there is very much else i can do. Fibro is a difficult condition to treat. It's been interesting and helpful reading all the comments from other users of this site.
  • Posted

I have been a long time sufferer of Fibro. I did all the right things, and although I reaped the benifits of the physical activities, nothing helped for the pain.If I did nothing,and didn't move, this is when I had less pain. I was taking Tylenol#3 2 tabs three xday, plus Nabalone(synthetic marijuana)and Gabapenten at 400mg 3xday. I still needed everything for pain. I was supposed to be able to wean down on the T3's, but it seemed like nothing was working. No one was really watching or saying anything about the Gaba, so I decided to wean this off as it was the most recent of pain medication I was taking.I didn't think it was helping. I had gotten down to 1 dose of Gabapenen, when I saw my Occular neurologist, and he wanted me to go back on the Gaba and at double the dose of what I was taking. I wasn't very happy and as I increasedI went through some grogginess, and unsteady but I started to notice a decrease in pain . I couldn't believe it. Why didn't someone tell me to increase the Gaba up before, rather than just add another medication. I can move my arms, I can plant seeds in my garden, I have pulled weeds, I can wash the dishes. This is a significant change. I am up everyday, I am not depressed, I feel more energy. I feel hope for the first time in 8 years. I take meds for other things as well that affect weight gain and , I just must exercise my self control, I now have pain under control, at least to a more productive level. I am happy with that.

Kelley

• Posted

I am on Gaba 800mg three times a day. I spent all day in the garden and then went out in the evening.I still take it easy as I am hesitant to start all activities. I am feeling more motivated due to better pain management. I still some aching and the pain is not totally gone but so much better. Down to just a dullness. I titrated the dose up slowly as it initially made me groggy. I went up in increments over 3 weeks. The doctor had told me to just go right up to the dose but I usually find it better to listen to to my body. So Here I am at this dose and every day for 8 days I have been able to function. I am hopeful.
    • Posted

That's good news Kelley. It's nice to hear at least one succuss story - most of us on here have been less lucky smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.