newly Diagnosed, and worried advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi guys, im a bit worried, i was diagnosed yesterday with a underactive thyroid, and the doc has started me with 75mg daily of levothroxine sodium. he told me to try that dose and have my blood done in a couple of months and he would check to see what my levels are then.

after reading up on underactive thyriod, i didnt know it was so big of a deal, he also told me i have a slow heart rate, i thought mine was normal being 72 at rest.

what worrying me is 75mg seems a highish dose to start off at, from what i have been reading can anyone give me any advice please. i was tired and didnt take all the info in when the doc told me

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, first of all, please try not to worry. Your doctor started this dose based on your previous blood results, your weight, and other patients of the same situation. If you have any issues with it, then tell the doctor. Also, try to stay off the internet.....its all drama on there and you will only find worrisome things that have nothing to do with your unique situation. Trust me....I read stuff when I was first diagnosed, that made my hair curl. I am on 125mcg after a total thyroidectomy. They tried to raise it to 200, which didn't work with me, so they kept me at 125 which works well. Again, please try not to worry - its hard I know, because its all new, but give it time and you will be ok. smile
    • Posted

thank you claire, i have been suffering with headaches for years and tiredness and all the other syptoms, i now have the answers, finally there is a light at the end of the tunnel, i just need to slow down, take it all in and listen and learn from the doctor of how to control it. thanks hun xxx
  • Posted

Hi Twinsmum2001,

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid couple of years ago and was prescribed 50mcg of levothyroxine sodim and a year latter increased the dose to 75mcg and since last few months it has been increased to 100mcg. I did not have any trouble of problems during all these periods.  On this discussion I have read so many people having so many different problems that I can only say that whether I am an exception of the rule. It is really difficult for me to advise any one and you being a woman and if your biology or immune system is more vulnerable you might aswell seek a second opinion.

• Posted

Ha, thanks. Just trying to reassure because I know how damn scary all this stuff is when it starts. So many things to take in, and like Twinsmum2001 said, if you are already feeling unwell, its difficult to absorb all the info. Thats a good point you made about being female/biology and suchlike. We women have enough hormonal things to deal with without thyroid problems too! smile
    • Posted

on top of it all, i have just start my monopauses, 

since november my health has been up and down, i had my first ruitine mamogram, to which they they found something, it had a byopsy i was on edge for 2 weeks just before christmas, got the results 22nd december, that was all clear just a small cyst thank god,

then in january, i started getting cronic migraines, nothing like the ones i had before, so i was put on tabs, no change, then sent to neuro doc, and i mentioned my swollen legs, she said see your doc,, so i did, it the mean time she put me on strong tabs for my migraines which make me feel so tired and sick, also had  optical nerve injections in the back of my neck,

so sorry to go on and on..lol

well went for blood test, throught it would come about say i have a low blood count as normal, but was shocked when he said i have a underactive thyriod, and also a slow heartrate, i didnt take all the info in because i was tired from being up all night doing a night shight at work, and didnt think it was so serious.

i said, slow heartrate, i didnt notice i had had, i have a good heartrate 72 normal. until i worked it work last night,  mine is normal when im busy running around ding things (im always on the go), but when i not on the go im tired all the time, thats when it must slow down. i know now i got to take life more seriously looks after me for a change, relax from time to time, being 50 in 3 months times a mother of 5 kids eldest 31, youngest are twin boys  of 14, and i have 5 grand kids, and i work 40 hours a weeks on night  SLOW DOWN WOMAN LOL  

thanks claire ,xxxxx sorry for going on and on

• Posted

Wow, you certainley have a lot happening in your life! Please don't apologise for offloading - it sounds like you needed it. Ok, first of all yes, I agree, you really must slow down - but we are terrible for taking our own advice! All this busy-ness needs to happen from other people, so I wonder if people around you could pitch in for a change? I know when I was ill, the house went to pot basically, and only the bare neccessities got done. My daughter and hubby were great (my son had left home by this time anyway), so I think the time has come for you to stop running about after everyone else for a while. I know its tough letting go of responsibility, heck I even insisted on taking the dog out, even if it meant I crawled on my hands and knees! lol. As far as work goes, nightshifts are very hard on the body for healthy people, so goodness knows how its affecting you - especially with the medication. Is there an opporunity for you to take a holiday, or even take time off sick? I know times are tough and every penny counts, but even a few days off could help - even if its just to get the meds regulated in your system. Does your doctor know how much you have going on in your life, because maybe they can help with something? Overall, just listen to your body, take time out and try to stop being so busy. I'm 47 and feel the effects on me, and I'm not even working right now, so I can only imagine how you must feel. I hope everything goes well for you - now go and out your feet up and watch some telly! smile x
    • Posted

You really are going through the mill at the moment aren't you.   Well you go ahead and have a good moan and we will all support you, it will do you good to tell everyone how you are feeling.   It's horrible as I well know to have all these awful medical conditions all at once.   This cloud WILL PASS EVENTUALLY.   In  the meantime take care of you and if that means slowing down then SLOW DOWN.   

• Posted

hi claire, still working hard, spoke to doc today, i asked about my levels, she said 18.53, she said its ok and with the med it should come down, and for me not to worry, and with the medication they can help me controll it, i only spoke to her on the phone. im gunna try to get a proper appointment next week, i rand the doc, cos last night i felt really run down, hot and achey and teary. all together totally fed-up.

just a off day i think. got my meds now. 

Day 1 tomorrow......... lets kick this tyriod in the butt, and put some life in this oldish bird. xxxx

• Posted

Hi Twinsmum, well at least you are letting the doc know, and yes get a proper appointment face to face. I have to say that you will get days like that, when you are feeling teary, fed up and run down. Its your body adjusting to things, so I wouldn't worry too much for now - obvioulsy if it continues, then tell the doctor. And phone them every day if you have to - they get paid good money to help you get well, so please don't be worrying about being annoying to them! You have priorities to to take care of (the main one being yourself, heh!). I also found it helpful to write down how I was feeling, y'know, just keeping a track of emotions and tiredness on a daily basis. It helped me realise what else might be going on rather than blame everything on the meds (stuff like time of the month, extra work, family stress etc). So, I hope you get everything sorted out in time - if you need to vent or chat, just let rip on here or PM me. Keep us posted! :D
    • Posted

Yes when you are hypothyroid you do get weary, fed up depressed and irritable, it will ease once the medication gets into your system so don't worry it will get better.
    • Posted

hi claire, been on levothroxine since saturday morning, boy did i sleep, i slept most of saturday, then on and off sunday, and monday nearly all day, when i was awake, one minute i was hot, the next i was cold, had jumper on and off. lol

this morning was weird though, i took my tabs just before leaving work as i work nights, 10 mins later i felt dizzy, and light headed, dont know if it was the levothroxine getting  in my system, but it  seemed a bit quick for it to be that, it lasted for about a minute or 2 then i felt fine.

apart from that and the sleeping things are going well.

did the levothroxine make you sleepy when you started on it.

chris. xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Chris, well.....levo acts quickly and you are still building up a reserve in your system so I wouldn't discount that being the cause of your dizzyness. However, I am not a doctor, so if it happens again, please phone them and tell them! Also, don't forget you have been sleeping so much more than usual so maybe that has to do with it. I do remember being tired a lot, and lacking in energy but I had two ops to remove my whole thyroid between August 2012 and Feb 2013. In between that time I was on T3 (Triiodythoronine or something like that) which I had to take 3 times a day at a dose of 25mcg. I was moved onto T4 after the radioactive stuff happened. I do recall a "rush" happening through my body when I took T4 though.....it was like my body suddenly whooshed into action, and that was only a couple of minutes after taking the tablet, which shows how fast (to me anyway) it hits the system. I'm glad to hear things are on the up for you though - you do sound a bit more cheery! :D
    • Posted

Hi claire i went to doc today. He is sending me for a scan of my neck. I asked him about my results, he said they are high bit he said je jas semn higher. Here is my results

Free t4 level 7pmol1/l (9.0 -22-0)

Free. Tsh level.18.53 mu/l. (0,35 -5,00)

What can ypu tell me from that please

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry but I can't tell you anything from that. I don't know anything about TSH levels because quite honestly I leave that to the doctors. If my results are normal, and I feel good, then I'm happy. If they aren't normal, then I expect the doctors to help me fix it. The scan you get will give more information than anything, really. Is it just a scan you are going for - and is this the first one? Take someone with you. smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.