Recovery after Linx Surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. Had the Linx device implanted three weeks and two days ago (in the UK). I was only able to eat normally for one day after the op, and then the troubles started. Severe disphagia, I was not able to eat or drink for three days and was back in hospital on a drip to rehydrate me, and a balloon inflation. Seemed to work for a couple of days, than it all started again and I had to go back for another inflation. I still have very strong esophageal spasms, I am now on Baclofen to relax the muscles, but most of the times when I eat the device won't open and I end up throwing up the food that accumulates at the bottom of the esophagus.

Still lots of problems eating, I can only manage tiny morsels, chewed to pulp, and that fills my stomach with air. Then I cannot expel the air because the Linx won't open to release it. I found that drinking fizzy drinks helps, as the fizz probably builds up more pressure and makes the device open. 

I had two gastroscopies and the surgeon is 100% sure that the ring is not too tight. He reckons it is a question of the scar tissue needing to heal, and then things will improve. I have total faith in him, and he is, to be honest, as baffle as I am because he has performed over 20 of these operations and never had any issues. I am probably the 0.01% case where things go wrong.

I see that most of these posts are quite old, so to those of you that had the procedure, please tell me things will improve! Right now I am ready to take the thing out myself!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Marie,

I  just read your post and so overcome with grief for your situation. I have not had this surgery; however, I do have a very bad case of Acid Reflux and currently am in process of coming off the PPI medications completly, and going over to the Natural Herbs and minerals side. I will expand on my own story and steps taken very soon. I just want to get back to you quickly to let you know.....I did for you what came to me instinctively first and foremost, and that was to lift you and your situation before the Lord in prayer. I believe in prayer because I have seen it work, over and over in my own life but in others as well. Please know I will continue praying for you until there is relief.  I will also continue to

check back on your posts. God bless.

• Posted

I didn't have the procedure but Im really sorry about your situacion. I hope it will improve soon. I have acid reflux too I know its really bad not been able to eat.
  • Posted

I had my linx implanted on the 13th of this month. I went through EXACTLY what happened to you to the T. And I'm still going through it. I can't eat but little Itty bites of small very soft foods. Had pooling, dysphagia, horrible spasms and am on Balcofen. I was horrible withim 1 hour of the surgwry and have been. I thought my spasms were heart attacks. I dropped from 190-172 lbs when I couldn't eat for those 2 and 1/2 days. I have an appointment this week and I'm going to ask for it to be removed. It's not agreeing with my body what so ever. I choke on mashed potatoes, water, eggs. I'm upset and angry that this is not told to us or shown to use by the manufacturer of this product!
    • Posted

After one month exactly, I have stopped being sick. I am starting to keep some food down: fish pie, chilli con carne and rice, hummus with Quavers (not pitta bread, that still gets stuck).Small portions, but they stay down. I manage to drink around three pints of fluids a day. So, things are slowly improving.

However, having gone without nutrients for a month, I feel a lot weaker and have spells of dizziness. A few years ago I had an iron deficiency, and my GP now reckons that this month of forced diet has probably made me anemic again. I am having a blood test to check.

So, if you cannot eat, make sure you get some kind of supplement, protein bars, protein shakes, whatever you manage to keep down.

Best of luck.

• Posted

can you give us an update Marie. I did the Link about a week ago also have dont feel great. I have a very tight chest and coughing .
  • Posted

Cant give advice but so so sorry to hear your troubles lets pray they resolve very soon. Where did you have it done ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.