Medication for Osteo Arthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am asking if any one is on a lot of meds for Osteo Arthritis. My Husband has been on meds since 1991 They are Tylex Robaxin ,Tramadol ,omprazole .please can you advise Poor Hubby has had several ulcers through these meds regards Amanda

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you spoken to a pharmacist about the combinationof meds. Omprazole is a PPI so if you are on that I didn't think you could get an ulcer unless the dose is wrong. 

Can you not have joint replacements for your OA. 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm on quite a lot of meds as well and I'm on lansoprozpol {same as omna prozol ....spelling} they are both stomach protectors that are suppposed to protect your somach from ulcers

I would go and see your pharmacist and get her advice

Eileen

• Posted

Good Morning Eileen, I am going into see one of the Gps tomorrow !! As We need this sorting. Its causing me to become ill myself,  as I too have OA of my Knees & Hips, I am not on meds as I am scared to take huge amounts. I have crystals which I use and also reflexology twice a month. But poor Hubby, he would be far better to have no meds and get this ulcer sorted. He also has Aneamia so we need to get this sorted as well. I am a worry guts. Sorry to trouble you. There seems to be no easy answer. I am dreading to have an ops for my self as my Muscles are so tight & stiff. Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Why are you dreading an Op if one is available?  I have had two joint replacements and its heaven I am now pain free. Why suffer with all this pain if an op can get rid of it. Yes you will be in pain for a short while but long term pain free isn't that what you want? Remember that the pain from OA is caused by bone on bone, there is nothing to fix that apart from something to mask the pain
    • Posted

Hi wknight, i am on pred as the jury is out regarding pmr/gca just yet, but i have been todl i have mid foot OA and there is nothing they can do.

It restricts my walking and causes pain, but untill they know the outcome when i come of preds i will have to wait and see,at the moment i am on 6mg pred reduced from 10 using Eileens method.

I have just had 5 days of virtigo and missed one day of pred as i was sick after taking it, dont know if this will cause any problems, but the doctor said i need to see him Friday as he is not happy about my right eye. Interesting about the Lansoprozol as he gave me this to take.

• Posted

Hello Amanda,

I have had Osteo arthritis for many years, thou i am still only 59, i have had my left knee replaced twice and due to have my right one replaced soon. The only way to be pain free is replacements. I am currently on Gaberpentin due to nerve pain and take Naproxen and Amitriptyline at night to help with sleep. I would suggest your hubby goes back to see the GP and ask for a referal for a consultant. If he has had several ulcers it would seem unsafe to continue with meds, or at least have the meds reveiwed. A replacement will only be deemed necessary if everything else as failed, such as physiotheraphy and injections. He could ask for a pain clinic referal also. I hope he can get a referal as consultants are more qualified than GP's for deciding on an operation. He may have to be assertive with the GP as some will try to fob you off. Good luck. 

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.