Escitalopram - which generic (UK) has worked for you?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - I am about to try the above but realise there are a lot of differences between generics despite what some people say. Has anyone had a good experience with a particular generic in the UK or one to avoid!

Thanks

C

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi C. I have been on escitalopram for a few years now for depression & anxiety which i have had bouts of on & off since my 20's (I'm 45 now). these control it well & maintain me "as the real me". like any anti depressant it usually takes 3-6wks before you start to feel better, & can often feel worse at first. with any anti depressants i have had, i found it best to start on low dose then gradually increase dose to prescribed amount for 1st couple of weeks to lessen any side effects. side effects pass as you get used to them, so please persevere for at least a couple of months. side effects i found 1st 2/3wks were lightheadedness, & felt little bit sedated or slightly out of it, but this does disappear. also you can get an increase in anxiety 1st few weeks, which is why i say persevere with them - it will pass. hope this help hun' . xxx
    • Posted

Hello Looloo

Thanks for the info. Which generic are you on - is it by Teva, Bristol, Mylan, Almus etc etc. Did you start on 5mg or even lower? I don;t think I could cope with increased anxiety - trouble is I have waited until I feel really really bad - should have started a while ago. I also have stomach trouble which is another reason I am scared as they can make your stomach produce more acid and I already have mild gastritis.

C x

• Posted

Hi C. my 20mg pack was brand "cipla". i was on 20mg temp when i started to experience bad peri symptoms before starting hrt. i am now on 15mg, but am using up the 20's by splitting them in half & also taking a 5mg to equal a 15mg dose. my 10mg packs are "glenmark", my 5mg packs are teva. i recongnise all the packs from past & have had all of them many times; absolutely no difference in effectiveness or side effects at all. xx
  • Posted

hi, my generics are by Teva

i dont have any reason to believe there is anything suspect about them and believe Teva to be a reputable established brand who don't want any bad press.

"On May 23, 2006, the FDA approved a generic version of escitalopram by Teva"

ps. i would have thought in the UK that testing/monitoring is quite strict regarding all of the generics

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.