Is anyone else a nurse?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi , just wondering if anyone else is a nurse? I am and it seems to add another layer of difficulty onto recovery post op ( my op was 12/5/16) because you know just what could go wrong !!!

christine x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Looking forward to answers from Bini and others on this!

You may be right but, I would take knowledge over ignorance any day.

L

• Posted

I am but have just been a patient to ensure just been treated like abyone else.

Just kept an eye on staff/docs and only let them know im a nurse when had to as orthopaedics not a speciality if mine

And this forum is a great resource if course 😊

• Posted

Yes, that's why I'm so scared, but the pain is now bearable and hoping for June
  • Posted

I'm the wife of a hippy and an OT.  I think it was a great help in understanding what was happening in the hospital and is an advantage with helping him to recover. However when I was myself a patient a few years ago (following a DVT & PE not related to surgery)  I found it was a mixed blessing. It stopped doctors taking down to me (the only person who did was a student nurse who got short shrift from me) but sometimes the docs assumed I knew something, such as possible side effects of getting my IVC filter, and so didn't fully explain it. Although you know what could go wrong you also know how rare such complications are.

Wishing you a great (and smooth) recovery

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. Yes I think it's important to just be a patient and try to forget you are a nurse! I wonder if there's a high number of nurses needing THR due to the nature of our work ? when I started nursing in the 1980s we didn't really use hoists and we're just expected to life our patients manually. This must take its toll on our poor joints ? 
  • Posted

Lol , yes I am and yes it makes us the worst patients ! They all

Knew me because I used to manage the orthopaedic service ! But yes , you tend to focus on possible complications rather than the positives ! Xxx

• Posted

well, I think you are an asset to this forum - I read your posts with great interest and learn something new ...

• Posted

I totally agree with Renée.

Bini - you are a superb forum member. You add critical dimensions to our discussions and your posts are always respectful and sometimes quite humourous (lifelong/ career long habits I imagine).

I deploy appreciate your contributions.

L

• Posted

Humph to self correct function - I deeply appreciate your contributions!

L

• Posted

Hi Christine

I am also a nurse who started in the 80s with lots of liftin of patients. I also wondered if the lifting contributed to my OA of hip.  I read that farmers had a high incidence of Hip OA due to lifting.

I  had my op on 22/4/16. I think being a nurse made me more anxious - more knowledge ! But also it made more able to navigate the hospital system   for example knowing to call the consultants secretary to get a date for the surgery.

I hope your recovery is going well

Karen

Hope your

• Posted

Hi karen, i am certain my back issues are from my nursing career.

I begun in 1980 and we did most moving & handling of patients and equipment manually.

No electric or pneumatic beds, chairs or trolleys. Most lifting techniques are now illegal and no such thing as a risk assessment lol.

Could be this is contributary factor in hip prob too??

Sign me up for compo hahaha 😂😂😂

• Posted

And no slide sheets back then ! What an amazingly simple idea they are - hope the inventor became suitably rich. (Wish it was me)
    • Posted

Plus back then our uniforms weren't trouser suits so you couldn't bend and twist properly without revealing all !!
    • Posted

Absolutely right...slidesheets are great!

I do still like a dress rather than tunic and trousers but it is more practical.

I had to apply to worksmart at my place of work for a wheeled trolley to take my gear to and from clinic each day due to my back and hip oa.

Took ages to be sorted and its the cheapest noisiest item haha.

Would love to retire as i have done 36yr this august but alas as not all my service was in the nhs i have to work till 67.

Omg! This new hip better hold out or i shall be going to work in a trolley....and goodness knows how long that requisition will take to sort out!!! 😂😂😂😂

• Posted

Love your outlook on life and sense of humour, but then all the best nurses seem to have. I suppose you simply wouldn't last without it!

🚃🚋🚊 ( sorry couldn't find the image of the right type of trolley).

😆

• Posted

Hi Karen it's christine again. When was your op ? Mine was 3 weeks ago now . How are you doing ? Are you missing work . I am ! Are you being a good patient .? I am going to be a much more compassionate nurse when I return after this experience ! 
    • Posted

Hi Christine

I am 7 weeks post op.  Hope you are doing well.  I am much happier now I can sleep my sides , swim and drive.  I am back to work on phased return at 8 weeks I missed the company during the day being off work.  I agree re being better nurse being in  receiving end of surgery etc -  will make me be able to put myself in patients shoes

• Posted

Hi karen.

Do you mind if i ask how you planned your phased return and what hours you do /are doing??

Thanks xx

• Posted

Hi Karen . At 4 weeks, Work still seems ages away but you have spurred me on . Just had first physic appt and she. Says I am doing fine- what a relief. Down to one crutch indoors now . How many years nursing have you done? Yesterday was my 33rd anniversary of starting nurse training! I trained in Slough but now work in Birmingham, what about you? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.