Levocerterizine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Levo 75 for years with no problems, had routine BW done to find my TSH had doubled to well over 5.5!  I've been gainging weight, all in my belly to the point I look pregnant.  Skin feels like pins and needles.  Been upped to 88 mg not feeling the best, stomach and loosing hair like mad.  Any clue until things turn around????

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have never heard of levocerterizine. It sounds like leothroxine and the antihistamine certirizine. Re your symptoms I would say you need T3. Are you taking that? Without going into the chemistry T3 helps the conversion from T3 to T4. It doesn't happen automatically with everyone. I find levo causes allergies, chronic allergies so I wonder if the levo you are taking counters those.

Anyway, there are plenty of medical papers, blogs and websites available to read about how levo on its own doesn't work so may I suggest you read them.

• Posted

I cimpletely agree that some people need T3 as well - I'm one of them. One thing I've not found out from all the reading I've done, is 'does the ability to convert T4 to T3' deteriorate with age? I too was fine on levo for a few years, then I had children and it seemed to no longer make me feel well. So after 25 years I've switched to the natural stuff. Way better. Wish I'd dine it years ago, then maybe I wouldn't have developed the allergies and intolerances I have.
    • Posted

Barbara, I generally don't buy the, "you're getting older" argument for health degradation. I suspect decreased liver and deteriorating GI tract functions are the main contributors to decreased conversion. My perspective is that if these organs are kept healthy- regularly cleansed and nourished, without exposure to toxins- that they will work at their peak. 

GMOs, pesticides, gluten, and general toxic buildup slow these organs' functions. Add low thyroid/ low metabolism, and these argues are slowed further. You get a vicious cycle!

• Posted

Hi susan, as we get older our ability to metabolise food to get nutrients out of it diminishes. To convert T4 to T3 our body needs these nutrients, so it would be a good idea to take a miltivitamin containing:

- iron (the body uses it to make ferritin - was this tested? Ferritin needs to be 70+ to process thyroxine properly, though the lower limit of the range in the UK is 5!)

- B12 (and all the other vitamin B range e.g. B6...),

- magnesium,

- potassium,

- zinc,

- selenium

are the main ones, though calcium and vitamin D are also needed.

Also try going gluten free, even if you test negative for Coeliac disease, and avoid soy which is bad for the thyroid.

If you've been taking levo for many years you may not have realised the guidance now says to take one hour before food, or 4 hours after food, and avoid supplements containing iron or calcium within 4 hours of taking levothyroxine.

Most people take levothyroxine an hour before breakfast, though some people get on better taking it at night.

I hope this has given you some ideas of how to help yourself feel better as fast as possible.

• Posted

Hi Susan,  if nothing else has changed for you and your blood work is normal other thsnthyroud, the only thing I can suggest, is that the formulatiion or manufacturing process  may have been changed. You could try an Internet search to see if the brand you're using has recently changed the formulation. 

Orther than that, I'm no help, as the levo didn't work for me at any dose.

My mother was on levo and it was supposedly stable. She's had some other health issues lately, and her TSH on a routine check had spiked to about 5.5.  I didn't even bother messing around with it. I just put her on a dessicated bovine.

• Posted

Thanks to your reply Catherine, I've just thought of something else...

Susan, have you switched brands of levothyroxine? In UK, levothyroxine is allowed to vary by +10% and -10% which means that 100mcg levothyroxine can actually be between 90-110mcg. So it is best to keep with the same manufacturer of levothyroxine to minimise any deviation in potency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.