Balance loss caused by stroke?

Posted , 3 users are following.

On Dec 7, 2013 I woke up and could not maintain my balance. The day before everything was fine. I'm retired from the US Army and use the VA for my medical issues. I have two implants in my back which prevent me from having an MRI done and the two CT scans they've done don't show anything they say. The balance loss continues on to this day I either lose my banance to the right, left or backwards. I've actually fallen about 4 times. I've had a VNG test in Jan of 2014 which the results showed a 'central lesion'. I'm trying to get disability from the VA for this issue by relating it to my ischemic heart disease I have which is realted to my exposure to Agent Orange while in Vietnam. Can anyone give me any advice on hat tests can be done to find out for sure whether I did or didn't have a stroke?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, can't advice any tests and I think it is difficult to identify TIA awhile after the event.

But definitely a stroke will lose you your balance. I had a bleed on the brain/acute cerebral haemorrhage about 2 years ago.

I used to play professional level ice hockey back in the early/mid '80s (was an amateur sport back then in the UK) and attained excellent balance from skating for so many years. My balance went when I had the stroke, and while I'm better now, it isn't what it was and I'd say I have sub par balance now compared to an average person.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I should probably find a civilian neurologist to see if they can do anything instead of relying on what mine from the VA keeps telling me.
  • Posted

Hi, I had a major brain bleed, from an aneurysm I hadn't been aware of. It needed to be clipped (a metal clip, so I can't be MRI'd either, now. As I have MS, its a bit unfortunate). After I'd recovered, they gave me a cerebral angiogram, to check that it was secure, AND to check the blood flow... Might the same test be useful for you, maybe? I know what it's like relying on a system like your VA, I'm in the UK, so I'm covered by the NHS. But, agent orange?!! Yikes!
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Wendy. That's what I don't understand, there has to be another way that they can check to find out just what's going on. Awhile back I'd asked my neurologist what else can be done. He said only an MRI can tell and I had to remind him again that I couldn't have one. His reply was

"He wrote back saying well then all the tests that can be done have been done, nothing else to do."

I honestly just can't believe he's correct in that statement.

• Posted

Hi, again, perhaps you could ask about a cerebral angiogram (?!) I do think that, sometimes, Dr's will make assumptions, that they don't believe anything is wrong, so won't pursue an actual diagnosis..! I went through it myself, I wasn't taken seriously, it ended up being MS. Of course, when I had my subarachnoid haemhorrage, they had to get past 'oh.it's just something to do with MS'. so, yeah, I understand your frustration.

Keep an account of what's happening to you AND tell whoever you're closest to, it's handy backup.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.