Coming off Tramadol

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I have been taking tramadol for 3 years now and I am ready to stop. I told my doctor today that I think I have a problem and I'm addicted. I meet with him tomorrow. What types of medication do they give to help with the withdrawals?

Thank you!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Benzodiazepines are best for preventing seizures, which is the most common of the serious issues. I'm not sure where you are, but in the US that's pretty much the standard for any kind of drug addiction, including alcohol.

Make sure your healthcare provider is aware that you may also be facing SSRI withdrawal, as many providers are unaware of tramadol's SSRI porperties in the first place (many still do not even believe that tramadol is addictive). Maybe they have some way to help with that aspect, but I kind of doubt it

• Posted

First off, coming off Tramadol does NOT cause seizures. Its the high doses or taking to much that causes seizures. I was taking 20 pills a day. Went off cold turkey at a detox facility with only Klonapin to help. No siezures. Iv read extensively about Tramadol in last 4 yrs. It can cause depression an anxiety coming off of it. PAWS is a high possibility. I ended up with pretty bad depression an still fighting it. The longer an higher doses are the worst to come off. I would take the Dr offer of the benzo. Restless leg is absolutely horrid coming off Tramadol. Goodluck.
    • Posted

I was on Klonopin for several years to combat depression. I had been on an extremely high dose so when one day I had to go to a new doctor, she absolutely freaked out and stated I HAD to come off it. She explained that benzo's are highly addictive and have their own squirrley side-effects.  She inappropriately put me on a very, very fast titration down from my original dosing.  It was HORRIBLE. I landed in the ER twice basically a mess and frankly, there wasn't a.whole lot they could do about it since they didn't know me or why I'd been on the dose I'd been on for so long.  I'm off it now, but wow, that was just awful!  My guess is, Lannieapple's doctor will likely titrate her down over a very long time (possibly a year or more), but trust me, that type of responsible treatment is definitely the way to go.
    • Posted

Withdrawal from any opioid has the potential to cause seizures. It doesn't mean they will happen, or are even likely, but prudent doctors will guard against it.

Any by the way, Klonopin is a benzodiazepine.

• Posted

It's been 3 months since my last Tramadevil pill after weaning myself off. I'm left with depression and chronic fatigue, will this ever go away!? I refuse to take an antidepressant as I have a friend who has been addictive to these also and has tried numerous times to come off them. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully come off Tramadol who has been on them long term. 😭
    • Posted

This is likely due to a serotonin imbalance. Some people recover much more quickly than others, but you should level out at some point. 

I would recommend that you try to find something to do that will help lift your spirit. That could be anything. Join a community project to help others, learn to play a musical instrument, etc. If it doesn't actually make you feel better, it should at least keep your mind occupied while you recover. And who knows, it might just actually jump-start neurotransmitter machine in your head.

• Posted

I know its a benzo! I take it. Actually, its highly more likely to get siezures from withdrawaling fr a benzo than Tramadol. But you prob already knew that rt? Thanks for attacking me. Rude. Done.
    • Posted

Why did you get prescribed Klonapin for depression? Usually its for anxiety. Whoever prescribed it for depression , in my opinion, was wrong. So sorry you went thru that! Yes, just like with any drug, Klonapin an all benzo's are addictive. If one takes it, should be for short period. But, it is helpful for high doses an long term use in coming off Tramadol. In my opinion only! The "no sleeping" an "restless legs " are excruciating withdrawls. If those symptoms of withdrawls could be helped, I think Tramadol discontinuation would be increased. Alot of people either give in an take a pill to end the agony or just go back on it. My addiction Dr prescribed the lowest mg of Klonapin for me. I was taking half of .5 mg pill everyday or twice a day. Now just take prn. But, still battling depression an anger. An menopause! I unfortunately was not able to get titration off Tramadol. Getting off Internet. Had a scare with my heart an went to ER (usa). 2 days later in detox facility. In 5 days got out. Huge wt off my shoulders. But the depression started 4 months later an got pretty bad. Have tried 4 diff antidepressants. Im learning that 80-90% of Seratonin is made in gut not the brain. So working on my food intake an gut.
    • Posted

I was taking it for 8-9 yrs. Normal dose at first then the last yrs slowly uped it to 15-20 a day depending on my mood. I HATE Tramadol. I wish I had never taken that first pill. There are people who successfully come off an no real issues but what Im reading is people who are on it for very long periods at high doses are having PAWS. An some who are normal doses are having issues with depression. I think of Tram as half antidepressant an half pain pill. Try healing the gut. Thats my next move since Iv tried 4 antidepressants. Been doin alot of research an finding Seratonin is mostly made in the gut. Also, stomach pills like Prilosec, Tagamet, ect.. cause your body to NOT absorb B-12. Defeinciencies of certain vitamins can cause low moods. Look into healing the gut. Im just sharing what Iv discovered an some don't believe that way. But Im at my wits end! Goodluck an get exercise an 15-20 min of sunlight a day if you can. Vit D. Bloodwork?
    • Posted

Thank for reply. 

I too wish I had never touched this pill. The depression is just the worst. I've never felt like this before Tramadol and after research, I have found out that it can take up to 2 years to feel "right" again. 

Its so hard to believe that I will one day be ok. I'm scared that Tramadol has done permanent damage to my neurotransmitters and I will always have this depression 😭

• Posted

It is possible to come off them, but you have to be strong minded. It helps if you have the patience to come off them slowly. Not cold turkey. Keep your mind occupied and drink plenty of water to flush the toxins out of your system.  You can do it, just don't listen to your brain
    • Posted

You took the Tramadol because you were in pain.  All opioids are addictive, how you come off them is a whole new ball game, but recriminations and beating yourself up about it is not a good way to start.  First, there is no quick fix to get rid of pain.  Pain stops you functioning, it takes away your ability to do every day things.  If your pain has gone, then you are strong enough to wean yourself off them, if it is in tablet form then cut a bit off one, do this week by week, a little at a time, just enough to fool your brain.  You will notice a difference, but it will be manageable.  Every person is different. It is the neurotransmitters that are telling your brain that you need the drug.  No damage is done to them.  Speak with your doctor, they will tell you the same thing.  They are like nerve endings, always alert.  You will get over the depression, if it has been a while, take antidepressants, you need only take them for a month or so.  just keep telling yourself you will beat this,  praise yourself, instead of feeling sorry for yourself (I am not being rude, just practicable).  There is a life after Tramadol. our may take a little while, so what, what's the hurry.  Do it slow and the outcome will last a lifetime
    • Posted

serotonin affects the brain, it is a neurotransmitter.  Changing your diet and increasing fluid levels help rid your system of the toxins. That's why, if you are not on any medication, a detox diet is good for you, superfoods like blueberries are good for you, essential oils can be mood lifting, research that and you may be pleasantly surprised
  • Posted

Many doctors don't understand how severe the WD symptoms can be. Most will not give any support to patients coming off tramadol. They will probably advise to halve the dose and then come off completely. However, if you reduce your dose gradually, especially towards the end and hold each new dose until you feel stable, you should be okay. The worst WD symptoms are over after 3-4 days, but it is a very hard 3-4 days. However, some people are left with clinical depression because tramadol is also an antidepressant. In these cases patients may need medical support in the form of anti depressants. I have also heard of diazepam being given by some doctors to help patients over the worst of the withdrawals from tramadol. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.