Laparoscopic

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just recieved my surgery date to remove a 23cm fluid filled cyst and the ovary will likely be removed as well. I am 25 years out and getting laparoscopic surgery and just curious on what to expect with recovery. I already told work that I would need a week off for the surgery but should I be expecting to have light duties once returning to work? How long does it take to be able to work out or have sex after the surgery? Will periods return as normal or should I expect heavy bleeding?..I do believe I will be put on some sort of birth control after to prevent a cyst growing on my other ovary. Any suggestions for recovery would be great! Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had both ovaries removed via laparoscopy three days ago. One ovary had a large cyst. I also had a d and c. I am experiencing abdominal pain and bleeding. It is hard to sit up without assistance. Pain mess help. I'm taking OxyCodone. My back hurt for two days due to the CO2 gas they pump into your abdomen but that's okay now. I think you could probably go back to work after a week if your work does not involve any bending or lifting. Sitting for long periods of time is also painful. I would not advise working out at all for three weeks. That's what my doctor advised. I have bleeding but I had a d and c and I don't know if you will. I don't think it would be good to have sex for at least a week or two but that's dependent on what your doctor will advise. My advice is to ask your doctor these questions too. And take any prescribe meds right away. I held off because I didn't want to be dependent on them but they really help!!! And I used an ice pack on my abdomen to reduce swelling on and off for two days. That helped a lot. 

Good luck!

Barbara

• Posted

Thank you. I will definatly still be asking my doctors these questions, but I wanted to here from peoples experiences as well. I hope the rest of your recovery goes well smile
  • Posted

Hi Kara! I'm 26, and yesterday I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a 12cm dermoid cyst along with my right ovary and tube. Even though I'm not too long out of surgery, so far I've felt a very tiny feeling and pressure in my abdomen where my incisions are, and some pain when I shift around. Also, some back pain due to the gas they pump you up with during the laparoscopic procedure. They told me that this would go away after a couple of days. I am alternating between Oxycodone and Ibuprofin as per my doctor's orders. My doctor also said 1-2 weeks recovery, so I'm hoping I can go back in a week. Just as a precaution though, is tentatively block off a second week or a couple of extra days, if possible. You never know! My doctor also said no sex or tampons for the next two weeks, and no working out for 6-8 weeks (I teach group fitness as a side job though, so my recommended time off may be more than the average person's). Hope this helps!
    • Posted

Ah, sorry for the typos! I typed that on my phone and didn't proofread carefully :P
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing this! My surgery was last Thursday May 19. I am on the same meds as you and am experiencing the same issues. I also am a part time fitness instructor even though I'm 64 years old. I took off for three weeks from that job. Hopefully I will be able to resume teaching after that.

I also had a d and c so I have cramps and bleeding. Since I went through menopause several years ago this is not fun! Lol!

To everyone who had this surgery, remember to take your pain pills as prescribed and to eat! My boyfriend has to constantly remind me to do those things. And it will all get better!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. It helps a lot!!

Barbara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.