When is the right time to go back to work

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey there everyone i just want to speak about when is the right time for me to go back to work.

I have been off since Nov 7th last year.

Had 1st lthr on 9th Dec 2015

Had 2nd rthr on15th Feb 2016

I have been off work since before 1st thr.

I have a meeting in work this week to disguss my phased return when my doctors line runs out in mid July. Although l can't help feeling everyone including my family think l should be back. Like someone once said on this forum nobody cares after 3 months and l don't mean you lot of hippies l mean people that don't understand hip replacement.

I have to say l feel guilty and confused as to if l should be back already and am l the only one thats went through this about work.

I work full time as a bank manager in a admin and call centre l have worked there for 13 going on 14 years.

When l have been off to get all this done its made me think about my career. I know longer have the passion for furthering myself in banking l went as far as l wanted. Its just a job now that was dreading going to in the last year because it was becoming that stressful.

I am.lucky enough to have a choice for the 1st time in.my life of what to do. I could go part time when l go back as there is no longer any need for me to have a full time job as we have no kids and our mortgage is paid off in sept. I have no debt and my husband has a brilliant well paid job working from home. I know it seems l am extremley lucky but l have had to sacrifice a lot to get to this point.

One thing l will say is that l can't not work l will have to find part time work either with something that l really would love to do or voulenteer work with animals. Something that gets me out the house a few days.

But anyway right now at this point l am scared. As l have not got a regular sleeping pattern l wake up berween 1am and 4am every night and move down the stairs and sleep on couch. I still get really sore some days and some days l walk with a worse limp than others.

Is my mind playing tricks on me as it knows l don't really want to go back to were l work but know everyone is thinking l should be back.

How do l get up at half 5 everyday to go to work when l am not yet sleeping normal and still get a lot of days of pain.

Any suggestions or has anyone felt pressured to go back when they don't feel ready and have lost a lot of confidence.

Any help would be appriciated.

My mum.even said to me when l got up from a couch strugglung cause l was stiff. Whats up with you....your limping. Has she forgot altogether l have had both hips replaced in the space of 3 months yet she was so concerned about my sister who has had sinusitus twice in the last month. She said on the phone its a shame for your sister she is getting fed up off being ill...........eh hello l am here l am demented being ill for months. Right there l realised nobody understands how mentally draining this can be apart from us that has been through this. And my husband who is totally supporting any choice l make.

Has anyone else had this problem or anything like it. I want to know l am not the only one that feels invisable to there family and pressured to be back at work because 3 months have passed.

Thanks

Laura

Xx

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello lors23

I think you should do what's best for you listen to your body. I wad manager at grocery store after my hip revision and i tried to go back but could hardly make it 4hours. I'm on disability and have been for 2 years i live in California . I unfortunately have sciatic nerve damage from my revision hip surgery.

I have hip dysplasia from birth left side. Nobody really understands the pain we have and recovery is slow process. I have learned from this site and some doctors is to be patient and listen to your body. I'm going back to school to train for something sitting down which is also hard to do.

Take care let us know how your doing

Jackie

• Posted

As has been said many times we are all different and heal both mentally and physically at different rates. I went back after one hip replacement after 12 weeks on a phased return. At 68 I had already been working part time, 3 days a week, for a couple of years. I found this is a good work/life balance for me. I did consider complete retirement but like you knew I had to do something and decided to go back. Very glad I did. July is still some time away and your sleep pattern and pain levels may well have changed for the better by then. For what it is worth I would give it a go and see how you get on, from what you say the possibility of part time will still be there in the future. Better to make the part time/ change of direction decision when fully recovered.
  • Posted

Dear Laura, 

I read your post a couple of times -  Good to have it written out ..

It feels as if you feel a bit pressured to make up your mind and give them (your work) an answer in the upcoming meeting about a phased return to your job in July - 

How about taking off the pressure - go to the meeting and listen to what they offer - the hours, the days ... it is still 2 months away - maybe working part time will give you additional time to figure out what and how you want to fill in your time ..

I also understand that you don't want to string them along ..you are a dependable and loyal employee , no question about that - 

or, another option, be honest with them ... at this point you are physically not ready to come back - 

It is tough, sweetheart and I so understand how difficut this is - however, this time you have the opportunity to choose for Laura !!!! take this opportunity - you have a loving husband who fully supports you ... 

don't allow anybody to put pressure on you ... ultimately it is your choice - problem is that for some reason we feel that we need to defend ourselves - 

as for feeling invisible --- I know what you mean - try to bless them - 

("how come you are still walking with a cane?  still in pain? still limping?...etc")-

Put Laura number one - no need to make yourself sick about it - for each surgery is a healing time - we had 2 - the 2nd one when the 1st one was not healed yet by a long shot - 

There is nothing wrong with you, you are not weak or anything -- you are healing your body and mind after major and traumatic surgery ---

angel blessings and peace of mind

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

and so are you -- so sorry for trailing of at times - I just want to encourage you to follow your heart ...
    • Posted

Laura - you are right of course, Renée is kind and wise. And her comments feel very right to me as well.

I read one of your other posts first, so I understand that you saw your surgeon and are having more x-rays done. It will be good to know more definitively what you are facing physically.

In a way, Renée's advice about your work meeting is the same - an opportunity to gather more information and ... just maybe, get some advice on what elements of work you should consider building into a new career (after more than a decade, they muse understand what 'turns your crank' and .. what doesn't)!

So think about whether you might want to have that conversation as well with your boss or colleague that you trust.

Big steps ahead .. try to find be excited about the opportunities ahead.

From a person who took a chance late in her career,

L

• Posted

Aloha dear Laura - how terrible to feel so pressured! You want to be further along in recovery but your body is saying no. How frustrating that even your mother says this. I would have to tell everyone in a calm way - mom or work or even doctors - I'm trying but my body obviously needs more healing time.

I'll be thinking of you as you go to your work meeting & hoping you tell them the truth - that this week you are not ready to go back to work, but it may be different in July.

Sending prayers your way,

Soos

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I think I have been lucky, got through my op and back to work in 13 weeks.  I work in a supermarket,so very physical.  I was dreading my phased return of 5 hour shifts, I normally work 6 or 7hours, but it seems to be working out. 

You go by how your body feels, only you know what it is like, maybe you will feel different in a couple of month, but if your not happy in your job and your not tied to it financially,maybe try it part time,to see if it's def not for you.Maybe this is the break you need to find something else. In the long run it has to be your choice.

• Posted

Laura,

I know exactly what it's like - I was off for 5 months, after my botched operation and failed revision.  No-one will understand, but you can do it.

You need a good phased return to work - I started 3 days per week on 4 hours, and gradually over a month I built up to full hours.

I am still dog tired at the end of the day, and exhausted at the end of the week, but I do have to commute nearly 2 hours in and 2 hours out of London.

After 7 weeks back at work, now using the Boris hire bikes which feels like a great step forward.  My main problem is the seating, my old chair that was very comfortable has turned into a horrible place to be.  The seat curves up at the sides, and that hurts my scar area.   I have found a flat sat that I can use which is much more comfortable, unfortunately it's not in my office, but a satelite office, so I only get to use it one day a week.

Great big hugs.

Graham

XXX

• Posted

I cannot imagine the commute!

But the chair - ask them to get you a decent one and if they cannot or won't by yourself one ( a decent work chair should be affordable and think of the difference it could make to your bod and mind).

XXX to one of my most favourite forum members. 😉😙

• Posted

Linda,

Awwwwww    Thanks

They are looking into it for me - things work very slowly in our office.  I have asked about more days in the satelite office - that will help.

Graham

XXX

• Posted

Your doing great graham l feel thats where l should be in my healing x
    • Posted

Laura,

Only we know just how hard it is - and you have had to cope with both hips being replaced.   We have to just 'go with the flow' sometimes, and take as long as our bodies need to recover, which I know is going to be a long time, maybe well over a year.

Healing rays and big hugs

Graham - 🚀💃

XXX

• Posted

Thanks again yals l guess its only me who knows how l feel and when l will be ready.

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.