75 mg only works on seratonin?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it true that this works like an SSRI and doesn't touch the other receptors unless you're taking 150 mg or higher?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes I believe that is true. I ended up on 300 which worked for me. It's quite 'numbing' though in that I found I didn't get emotional at all on it.
  • Posted

yes it is true - lower than 150 mg and it acts as an SSRI. it is at 150 mg that the action on norephinephrine. even higher than that (not sure at what dose), that is when the action on the dopamine receptors kicks in.

that said, if you didn't have much luck on a different SSRI and are worried that a dose of effexor less than 150mg will be ineffective, give it a try before increasing to 150 mg. not having a response to one SSRI doesn't mean you won't have a positive effect from another SSRI.

I am sort of in that boat - i just switched from citalopram (an SSRI) after it not working and have been started at 75 mg effexor. i feel like SSRIs don't work for me and am eager to jump straight to 150 to get the norepinephrine too but will see how things go in the next couple of weeks.

good luck!

• Posted

That's mentioned here:

"Daily doses of Venlafaxine of 150 mg or less, do not exert any effect on noradrenaline re-uptake and so acts in a similar manner to an SSRI. Daily doses of Venlafaxine greater than 150 mg inhibits re-uptake of both serotonin and noradrenaline."

http://www.comingoff.com/snri.php

It doesn't provide any source for that but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.

• Posted

Apparently so. 150 is the way to go for true Effexor SSNRI goodness. Otherwise you may as well be taking much any SSRI. x
    • Posted

except that everyone can react differently even to SSRIs so despite one SSRI not working on you, venlafaxine may still have a positive effect, even at the dose of only being an SSRI, simply because your brain happens to response to the specificities of aborsorbtion and distribution - the drug's pharmacokinetics. 

that said, i didn't respond to citalopram, the SSRI, so am eager to bump venlaxafine up to 150mg so i can also start reaping the sweet sweet N benefits.

cheers smile

• Posted

absolutely true. It is very individual and also very dependant on the disorder being treated or mix of disorders. If you do end up going up to 150 let us know how it goes for you smile
  • Posted

Thank you everyone!! I might think about upping the dosage. Zoloft made me so tired and this doesn't I feel a little better as far as anxiety so we'll see. I just don't want to be taking it for nothing. I've been on 75 mgs for almost 3 weeks maybe it just needs a little more time? Thanks again for all of your responses
  • Posted

I recently went from 150 to 187.5 and found a very noticable difference. I am quite comfortable in social situations and my depression has basically disappeared. I recommend if you are not getting the bennefits of lesss than 150.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.