New to orlistat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, looking for advice and support group really. I have hypothyroidism and gained 3 stone in a year, I was put on Levothyroxine but didn't lose any weight despite my levels being a lot better, despite eating really healthy and going to the gym 3-4 times a week. I desperately went to the Dr who has prescribed me Orlistat, As told I'm obese (absolutely mortified) I'm 5'6" and weigh and alarming 14st 5lbs. I did some research and was shocked and worried about some of the awful side affects, until I found this very useful site. 

Even though I'm still a little worried after reading about people shi..ing themselves out shopping, I'd be mortified, all the cases I've read about accidents and leakage people had it didn't mention what they'd eaten and I'm hoping its because they ate high fat meals. I'm a healthcare trainer and really can't have an accident. 

I took my first tablet 3 hours ago, I've eaten a low fat diet for 2 days, I haven't had any side effects yet but don't know how fast the tablets work, just hoping I don't Sh.t the bed whilst I'm asleep lol, have warned my poor husband. 

Also next week I'm off to Ladies day and really want to enjoy my day. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi they are sensitive depends what you eat. Takes a few days to work.

Only advice about accidents is not to fart. Lol. You'll get used to it. You try to fart you will leak

• Posted

Ohhhhh lovely I'll look forward to that then, feel more windy today, had a couple of farts but fortunately no leakage as yet, what a lovely conversation. Last night I had to go to wee twice in the night is it normal to wee more.  
  • Posted

I haven't had any leakages cause I've stuck to the low fat.  It's a good deterant from eating chocolate or crisps lol.  Good luck
    • Posted

Lol yes I've not had any crisps either although I've discovered that Twiglets don't have much fat and I love them smile
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne,

I have been on these pills three times now and Ive only ever had one accident which was my own fault as I went out for a meal and paid the price for it a day later luckily I was at home!

If you stick to a low calorie diet and don't go above the 5g per 100g and 45g per day fat rule you will be absolutley fine.

I also have hyperthyroidism and take Levothyroxine and find it virtually impossible to lose weight without taking Orlistat.

I have been on them for 5 months now this time and Ive lost 25lbs so far which my GP said is a very slow loss, but now I have come to a stand still I can't seem to lose any more weight. I have my review next month and Im worried he will take me off the pills.

I am 5ft 8 and now weight 12st 13llbs I started at 14st 10lbs but still have another 1-2 stone to lose.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Claire that's been very helpful, still doing well, only 2 incidents of a small amount of oil in my stools but no leakage. I have a pretty low fat diet anyway so I'm sticking to it well, just really hope it helps me lose weight as nothing has so far. Sounds like you've done really well, good for you 

Suzanne 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.