My experience with a large, complex ovarian cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all! A couple of weeks ago I wrote an initial post on the forums when I was still in the uncertain stage of my diagnosis and was also pre-surgery. You may see the post here if you'd like the whole backstory:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/8-5cm-complex-separated-ovarian-cyst-26yo-scared--511742

Now that surgery is said and done, I just wanted to check in and offer some encouragement to any individuals who may still be in the dreaded "waiting" stage.

Short story: diagnosed with a 7cm complex cyst on right ovary after going to the ER with abdominal pain at the end of April. Ultrasound a couple days later showed the cyst as being complex, which prompted my gyn to refer me to a gynecologic oncologist. The gyn onc sent me for an MRI to get a better idea of the cyst's contents, and the MRI said the cyst was actually 8cm and probably a dermoid (benign) cyst.

I had surgery this past Monday, so I'm currently two days post-op. When the surgeon went in she found that the cyst was actually 12cm! Luckily she was still able to remove it laparascopically, and luckily the cyst was totally benign - it was just a bizarre dermoid that I was most likely born with.

Right now I'm in a decent amount of pain and discomfort post-surgery - those incision sites feel so tight! But I'm trying to take it easy while still moving around a bit, as walking helps the body get rid of the air they pump you up with during the laparascopic procedure.

My post-op appointment is 6/7.

To those who may be waiting - I know that it is so scary! Hang in there. I wrecked myself in the weeks before surgery by worrying about cancer, surgery, etc., and it was all unnecessary stress and anxiety when all was said and done. Easier said than done, I know, but try your best to stay as calm as possible. Love and prayers to you all!

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

PS - forgot to mention that I also had to have my right ovary and tube removed laparascopically along with the cyst.
  • Posted

So glad all went well for you. Wishing you a very speedy recovery xxx💗
  • Posted

Wow, that was a great post to read. Thank you so much for remembering us 'ladies in waiting'. 

I am the gal whose complex cyst measures almost 12cm. I wonder if it has grown in the last month and a half. I know what you mean about 'wrecking' yourself'.

The doctor feels there is a 20% chance of malignancy for mine. My pre-op appointment is June 2 and my surgery date is June 9.

I will hang in there and thank you for your kind update.

• Posted

So glad everything turned out well for you sweetie! I hope your recovery is quick and pain-free, just keep your pain meds at hand smile 

So happy there was nothing serious in there x 

• Posted

A really uplifting post.  Thank you!

Glad it has gone well for you, and you were dealt with ever so quickly.

Yes there are lots of ladies in waiting.  I have a near 10cm dermoid on the right and 2cm dermoid on the left, although my MRI 3 days ago will indicate any further growth in the past month, and decide the best form of surgery.  What I'm most concerned about right now is the incisions and recovery time.  Nothing I can do about that but see how it goes. About 6-8 weeks to wait for my op.

It's been a great help to you read your post, and I wish you a quick recuperation.  All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.