Graves and caffine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi just wondering is it okay to have like 60mg of caffine a day with graves / hyperthyroidism

I have been doing a shake diet for 2 weeks and just realised that each serving has 30mg of caffine .

I really want to stick to my shake program . I have lost over 3 kg already.

Does anyone else with graves still have coffee or caffine daily?

Please .

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Its like equivalent to 2 cups of coffee a day
    • Posted

I have 1-2 cups of coffee a day.  I feel okay on it.  Each of us has individual reactions so it would depend on how you feel.  If you feel hyper after having a shake, I would reconsider but if you feel okay, then go ahead with it.
    • Posted

Thanks linda .

I will stick to it for now .

One thing i do get is cant go to sleep till late but always kind off had that . Since having hyperthyroidism/graves

And just dropped carb. Meds 3 weeks ago 20mg to 10mg a day so body could still be adjustung.

Will the caffine affect my next blood test ?

• Posted

I was by my endo not to take anymore caffeine.. I have more energy by taking more B12... but recently took an early flight and I drank some Coke or pepsi
  • Posted

Hello Kylie I too want to loose weight I dont think all that caffine is a good idea Graves has left me with high blood pressure and even two cups of  normal coffee push it up, When I saw the nurse last week she asked me how many cups I drink in a day when I said at least six she told me to cut out coffee all together as I was overloading on caffine. When I first developed Graves I went down to five stone and was very happy after treatment to go back to 8 stone but over the years I have put on a great deal of weight now over 12 stone not happy I have tried the meal replacement drinks and several other diets all to no avail. The best thing is to have a word with your doctor.  regards Jacky
    • Posted

try L-carnitine supposed to be good for hyper and at the same help metabolize fat.  Read about L-carnitine and hyper or just L carnitine... I started 250mg L-car 2 weeks ago... I also tried acetyl L- car because my ester is low but it's so potent, I felt some hand shaking. Do not take the Acetyle L-car it's potent.  My tsh has been 1.87-2.0 so I gave it a try.  So far I've lost .5 lbs per week and of course I did workout or at least run or jog 20min every other day...  
  • Posted

It's not a very good idea. Coz ur body is already hyper. Adding that much caffeine will worsen it. I don't feel particularly good after drinking coffee.
  • Posted

Hi kylie

Certainly , I have about six or eight cups of

Earl grey tea every day .. Maybe only one cup of coffee per week .. And it does me no harm whatever.

I am taking 5 mg of CARBIMAZOLE per day at the moment .. And for the past two months.

• Posted

Thanks everyone .

I will talk to my endo next time i see her. At the moment i feel ok. I usually have 2 teas a day which i have now stopped having as caffine in my shakes im having.

I have a month of these with caffine in it which i will finish than switch to a caffine free shake instead .

Hopefully i can budge a few more unwanted kg .

Looks like everybody reacts differently

• Posted

Its only equivalent to havng two cups of tea daily which i would normally have any way . Normal cup of tea around 27mg .

So if i stop the tea and have the shakes should be no different .smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.