I have a very embarrassing sweat condition....

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter was born in 1991.  The first summer after her birth, I started experiencing a very embarassing sweating condition every summer where I develop a sweaty body odor (smells like ocean water to me) in warm weather. At first I thought my body was responding to the sun.  However, I noticed it happens whenever it is humid, even when I'm in the house.  The strange thing is that it occurs AS SOON as I encounter humid temperatures. If I'm inside under AC, I'm fine. The moment I step outside, I start to smell in less than three minutes. When I go back into cooler temps, I have to wash up and the smell goes away until I'm back in humid temps.  I've even tried putting deodorant on my skin. But that doesn't prevent the odor.

I've talked with the Endocronologist and FP about it and both looked at me as if I had three heads. As you can imagine, not only is it embarassing. But fter 23 years and no explanation, it's exhausting.   I've figured it was hormonal since it happened after having my daughter.

Does anyone experience this or ever heard of it?  I'm desperate for a cure.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I meant to add that the sweat isn't visible. However, the smell is detectable.
  • Posted

Hi Nichole. It sounds like hyperhidrosis. I have it and it's always worse in hot, humid conditions. I use a fans in the lounge and bedroom, no AC here in UK where I live. You could mention it to your GP/family doctor and ask if there's a treatment he can recommend. Are you in the US? Things are a bit differerent to the UK with regard to health insurance etc. Good luck. Pollyanna UK rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Pollyanna,

Thanks so much for your response.  With hyperhidrosis, do the symptoms only occur in humid weather?

• Posted

Not for me! I get them all the time especially when doing things which use a lot energy, ie housework, gardening etc. I'm just so much worse when it is hot and humid as it is here in the UK at the moment. Thunder storms on the way tomoorow! I've had my fan on all day today, will see what it's like in bed shortly. X rolleyes
    • Posted

Pollyanna, do you actually get wet from sweatt? I don't experience that. The only symptoms I experience are being really hot and the offensive body odor.

Hope you have a good night tonight.

• Posted

Has your endocrinologist tested your pituitary gland hormones?  One would assume so, but if he is being inactive on this, maybe not.  I suffered sudden excess head sweats for 6 years, and the sweat did flow.  Finally someone referred me to an endo and my test results revealed a tumour on my pit gland causing excess prolactin.

The excess prolactin was causing my oestrogen to be ineffective, therefore giving me the menopause symptoms of constant head sweats.  Cabergoline relieved it almost immediately.

Worth a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.