Just been discharged 2 days ago.

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all, just been discharged 2 days ago after right full hip replacement.  Stumbled upon this site and so glad I did.  Hopefully will keep my momentum up over the next few weeks.  I have suffered from ostioarthiritis for a number of years in both hips.  Will be getting left side done in January 2017.  I am in soo much pain at the moment and can't seem to get the hang of the crutches.  My knee has swelled up and is causing more pain.  Hospital has advised more rest but i'm going stir crazy lying in bed all day, just getting up to go to the loo.  I know it's early days but feeling very frustated with myself.

Michelle x

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi michelle

Welcome to our hip forum you will be so glad you found it it got me through 2 hip replacement everyone is so helpful plus we all know what your going through just like you l discovered at the end of last year l had OA in both hips and both were needed replaced . I went through a year of thinking l had pullled a muscle in my left groin the oain just kept getting worse until l was sent for an xray in november last year and found out both hips were done inn. Had my 1st lthr on 9th dec and 2nd rthr on feb 15th. I have just turned 43.

I can understand the pain you are in just now and how much your leg must feel like its a dead weight. Everyday it gets better just keep doing your physio and manage you pain with painkillers at the moment they are your friend.

Ask anything or just if you need reasurance this forum is a godsend.

People of all ages on it and loads of help.

Take Care

Laura x

• Posted

Hi, hope your feeling better soon.  I'm going in for my op a week tomorrow . This forum is the best ever for advice and encouragement.  I will be interested in your progress .  Keep posting.  X
  • Posted

Those first days are horrible and quite scary. Others have said many times, make sure you are on a high level of suitable painkillers so you can pick up the courage to do those exercises and walk with the crutches. It does get better! Exactly 4 weeks in I am off the strongest pain killers and beginning to walk well with, and sometimes without, a stick. There have been good days and days when I have cried along the way and remember, everyone is different. Make sure you get a proper bed rest every afternoon and go to bed early. Good luck with keeping the motivation going and when you feel down come to this forum for support.
  • Posted

Thanks so much for welcoming me everybody.  Can't say im looking forward to this emotional rollercoaster but just knowing there is somebody I can talk to who knows, will make all the difference.

Mx

• Posted

I had my thr 4 wks ago, due to a fall. As ppl have said it does get easier. I'm on one crutch around house now. Not liking the swollen ankle and foot though. Hopefully this will go down in next few wks. Get well soon. Xx
    • Posted

Yes - the swelling is pretty frustrating and can get painful if you skip your meds, exercise and elevating them periodically after sitting or standing a while. It helped me to elevate my foot while sitting (just use a small footstool or box beer)!

Ice packs help but mind the rotation as the skin is so irritated and stretched (10 min on 20 off is a good rule).

Another forum member has had good results reducing swelling by drinking tonic water (quinine is the key ingredient I believe which is a natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic).

Keeping busy helps as it distracts us a bit from all the symptoms (sudoku, music and this forum helped me; ditto visits from family and friends or any combo of these 😊).

Good luck .

L

• Posted

Welcome to the Forum - like you I had my right hip replaced coming on 8 weeks ago. The people on this Forum were so helpful.  I do hope you feel better soon. xx
  • Posted

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find it a place of great support and information.  I know I did. 

I'm 40 and 3 weeks post op for a RTHR with my left due sometime in the future when the pain / mobility get to that point I want it. 

The first couple of weeks are not a nice experience, however at 3 weeks I'm off most the strong pain killers (except at night to help me sleep).  Other than that I am on paracetamol to help with the remaining surgical pain and down to one crutch now. Still a lot of recovery to go but its bearable and much less daunting now. 

David.

• Posted

Hi, welcome to the hippy site, we all know how you feel carry on resting take painkillers and do excercise a, things will improve honest just takes time, do you like reading if so loose yourself in a good book I expect you will get visitors as well.  DO NOT OVERDO THINGS  take care everyone is here for you.

regards Lorna

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Love the name cheesygrin

The first couple of weeks are the hardest.  Take your prescribed painkillers and try to stay ahead of the pain, don't be a hero.  Rest but also do your exercises - they will help get rid of the stiffness, but only do what you can, don't push it. Elevate that leg when you're resting, maybe try some ice although swelling is normal.  

Crutches take a bit of practice but the hospital physios should have made sure you could use them properly before discharging you.   Maybe look for a video online?  Hard to advise because you haven't said whether you are weight-bearing or not. 

It will all come together in time.

Take care, Cels Xx

• Posted

Welcome Michelle!

Sorry that circumstances brought you here but this forum provides amazing support and encouragement

I am 16 weeks post surgery on my left hip (posterior approach) and feeling much more in control even though I will likely have my other hip replaced late summer.

So ... you are in the toughest stage right now (no longer on hospital pain meds, and all tissues fully aware of the grievous insult of the operation and new hip). The best way to survive this stage is to keep the pain meds level, do the blo***y exercises and ensure lots of distraction sudoku and the like, music light tv or books .. whatever works to keep your mind busy and off the 'discomfort. 😨

When you feel up to it, be sure to let friends and family know that visits help to dis tract and do things you won't manage for few weeks. I enjoyed dvd's of good concerts with a couple of friends - it helped me step outside of my head space.

Keep the faith ...it really does get easier, especially once you start seeing progress in your exercises and abilities. Some people find it helps to track these as it re-enforces successes and progress and is easy to lose sight of this at times.

Good luck and don't be shy asking for help from friends at home ... and here.

Linda

• Posted

So sorry you have such a l-o-n-g wait until your THR when you are in such great pain. I have had to use walking aids for the past year, and I have found that using a rollator walker has been SO useful for me. I tool all around my house at a great pace. I attached an image below of what mine looks like. Besides the basket, you can put lots of things on the seat that need to be moved, which I do all the time, so I don't have to carry anything. The basket is removable and I don't use it, as my house is small and it bumps into things. Since you have such a long time and are so disabled, this might be a good option for you. It has made my wait for surgery (finally coming up in mid-August) much easier.
    • Posted

I really second Annie's recommendation to try a rollator. It helped me immensely and it was part of my surgeon's guidelines for recovery.

First off it gives you even support and secondly removes many of the balance issues when still shaky after surgery. As my second hip is bad, it also makes to protect it from the extra burden. My PT also swears by them, as the stability it provides helps smooth out one's gait and this big as your recovery progresses as muscle memory forms with bad habits too, so you want to avoid limping or favouring one leg as much as possible.

L

• Posted

The first two weeks are the worst, and I was in the hospital for 4 days following mine. Couldn't have dealt with being home any sooner. Things will improve. Please rest, elevate, ice, get good nutrition and rest some more in these early days!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.