When will I get my stamina back

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi friends,

12 weeks post op yesterday and I'm walking well without aids, sleeping well and doing most things normally now, like shopping, housework etc.

Have just started bowling again - lawn bowls - and I'm taking it slowly but jeez, after a few ends I'm exhausted.   I managed 6 ends this afternoon but it whacked me out.  It's not exactly a high impact sport but it does take some stamina which I seem to lack.  I've been asked to make up a Ladies Triples team at the end of June which will be 18 or 21 ends.  So that's another month but not sure if I should commit to it or not.

I know some of you are back at work now and am wondering if you've all got your mojo back or are still finding things tiring.

When did you get your stamina back?

Cels Xxx

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is sooo frustrating at times. Today is a good example ... caught up on paperwork then went to the nursery for 30 minutes and came back exhausted. Granted it was stinking hot but REALLY?!

I am eager to hear other responses - I am very glad I am retired and did not to face going back to work after thi operation.

Good luck at getting back to the activities you love.

Linda

• Posted

Thanks Linda. I'm glad I'm retired too but even when I was in pain pre op I was never short on energy.

Cels x

• Posted

Hi Cels

I know I'm back at work / on holiday etc etc but I have nowhere near my normal energy levels yet - takes months as I recall from previous two ops xxxxx

• Posted

Reasurring as ever Bini and nice to know it's not just me. 

It's stupid though. You feel, like you can, you think you should, then you find out you can't. Grrrr!

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Cels, it's good you are handling most things well. Now that you are trying activities that require more energy, you are seeing that recovery is still ongoing. Getting full stamina back seems to vary with the individual. Some I see here are going full tilt by 4 months, for others it takes months longer. Chances are you will be feeling much better in a month, but there is no guarantee. I, too, am glad that I am retired and didn't have to worry about getting strong on any kind of schedule. It's crazy how much this surgery takes out of us!
    • Posted

Absolutely Annie, you don't realise how draining until you try to push yourself.  I thought I was almost normal.  I said that to a friend - she said "You've never been normal" eek
  • Posted

Hi Cels,

Back to work last week for me and although before that I felt full of energy, boy did it take it out of me. Still getting days where I'm nodding off when I

get home and some days, I can go for my long walk after work. Guess it's just up and down. I usually sleep well on a night now unless I'm stressed.

Try and build it up bit by bit, butyes it does catch up.

I'm going onto my normal hours next week. 6/7 hours instead of 5.

• Posted

See Lynn, it's all your fault really.  I took my inspiration from you cheesygrin

I am building up, I started with two ends, then four and yesterday six, by the end of which I was sweating, my heart was pounding and I could barely drag myself up the club steps and into a chair.

What a lightweight I am. sad

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Lollol, we bounce off each other, wouldn't say your a lightweight though, you are doing really well.  everyones milestones aredifferent, but we get there in the end.

Today, I have not had such a good day, pain, in my good side knee and a bit in the good side hip. Ups and downs. Just sat and slept most of the afternoon when I got in from work,but I was up very early too.

• Posted

I am with you cels l walked 3 miles yesterday but was exausted after it as you know l keep asking this to as l see more and more people like lynn, graham and bini back at work l am thinking why am l not ready yet. Why is my sleeping pattern still terrible. Thats what promted me to go to the gp the other day and now l am in a situation where he has xrayed my knees as l have been getting knee pain and he has xrayed my hips again just incase. I pray there is no OA in my knee's and l am just still recovering.. i have just woke up with sorr legs and l know l am doing another long walk today as l am not giving in because l feel it my own fault for not being as active as l should when recovering.

As for you cels l think you are doing well you started if doing 2 ends just a week or 2 ago now you are way more. So you are slowley getting there hun and you walk the dog everyday and do normal daily tasks . Xx

• Posted

Thanks Laura,

I know I expect too much too soon but I love my sport and I want to be on the green and not watching.

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Hi Cels,

You are in good company !  rolleyes

Same here - I finally got my GP to get me a bloodtest ... I am lightheaded most of the time and sometimes feel as if I am passing out - makes me insecure to drive ...I start out with good energy however after 10-15 minutes feel legs getting tired and shaky - huffing and puffing like a locomotive - Okay, I do need to lose weight - a bit of catch 22 at the moment

• Posted

oops, was not done yet ...

I hink you are doing great  -  just go with it - I am sure that you are getting stronger every time you play - Maybe not yet as fit as pre-op but hopefully with less pain - 

you are getting there - doing something you enjoy .

so just enjoy it, okay ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

Do you get jellylegs? After the hip class I come out with wobbly legs after all the exercises - they work us quite hard.

I think I've got everything back but my pre-op fitness level.

How is your bursitis now?

Hugs backatcha,

Cels Xxx

• Posted

that sounds pretty good though, cels ... normal to have jellylegs after a workout ...

I am more bothered by lack of stamina in whole body - the huffing and puffing part - I might be able to walk longer , even if legs feel tired ...

to be honest, I am better now than pre-op - thank you for making me look at that - pre-op I was in so much pain and walking was so challenging 

well, the bursitis put me back a little , a lot actualy - but also getting better - I can lie on it for a bit longer and walking is getting better - just very stiff when getting up after sitting - not sure if that will ever go away - 

No PT for me right now - I was sort of dismissed by last PT as she thought I should go back to surgeon for steriod injection ....

I am not ready for that and hope I won't need it -

• Posted

Oh, I huff and puff too Renee after exertion.  We have a fabulous hip class here, every Monday morning.  It's an hour of fairly strenuous exercise, you can certainly feels the muscles aching for a few days afterwards.

I am so pleased the bursitis is beginning to get better.  In some respects there are similarities to this haemaotoma I have.  The physio said it should in time be reabsorbed by my body but probably so slowly I won't even notice.  

I hope you don't need a steroid injection - I thought we were all done with that stuff rolleyes

Cels Xx

• Posted

Good to hear that the bursitis is getting better Renée. You have had a tough time of it.

Maybe we need to invite 'speakers to address key issues for us?!

For example, 'fatigue/ low energy/fogginess'. It might be interesting to get the bumph on the medical advice, preventive an alternative fronts.....

L

• Posted

I had 'jellylegs' when I started riding the pushbike again, but it's slowly getting easier now.

Fitness and stamina are the next big hurdle, we'll get there eventually.

No wonder people used to say this recovery takes a year.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Absolutely we will, just not as quickly as we thought!  I didn't really expect this.  I wasn't that unfit before the operation, so I know it's all down to the THR and a few weeks of not doing much.

Cels Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.